Denster

Sig P238 Bb&wb New Design

This is a design I came up with today for the Sig P238. My usual method of making between the belt and waistband holsters wouldn't work due to the Sigs size. This one is made of 6/7 Hermann Oak. With the neutral cant it carries well from 1:00 to 5:00 strong side and is useful crossdraw over to about 10:00. It rides fairly high so it should clear the hip swell with the ladies. Let me know what you guys think. See anything I need to change?

post-7354-089856500 1322027456_thumb.jpg

post-7354-007492200 1322027459_thumb.jpg

post-7354-069174500 1322027460_thumb.jpg

This is a design I came up with today for the Sig P238. My usual method of making between the belt and waistband holsters wouldn't work due to the Sigs size. This one is made of 6/7 Hermann Oak. With the neutral cant it carries well from 1:00 to 5:00 strong side and is useful crossdraw over to about 10:00. It rides fairly high so it should clear the hip swell with the ladies. Let me know what you guys think. See anything I need to change?

not knocking your work, cause you do great work, but why inside the belt?

you're half way to the IWB, why not go all the way? i think it would annoy me, personally, or just be unfamiliar to me. all the holsters i've had have been IWB or OWB paddle holsters, os maybe it's just me not being used to the design.

also, what's up with the leather under the trigger guard? every one i see is like this, but if it's an IWB, or a belt carry with the belt loops attached, it seems pointless.

Edited by randypants

Looks to me like one of the advantages of this design over a IWB is you only have to deal with an extra belt hole or two, vs. a larger waist size in your pants.

Nice looking holster.

I can think of a couple of reasons you might want to go the inside-the-belt route. Some folks find iWB uncomfortable. And IWB requires some extra room in your waistband. And it will be tighter to your body than OWB.

Do you get a lot of demand for this style? How easy is reholstering?

tk

Edited by malabar

Hey, looks great to me! I might have to try one of those myself for my personal Sig P238. Out of curiosity, how well does it carry left-hand OWB with just that single belt tunnel? You made the tunnel wide enough, I'd think it'd offer pretty good stability, though it might not pull the grip inward enough... Nice work as always.

Denster, I think you came up with a keeper ----- I like it, a clean and simple design. Mike

Hey, looks great to me! I might have to try one of those myself for my personal Sig P238. Out of curiosity, how well does it carry left-hand OWB with just that single belt tunnel? You made the tunnel wide enough, I'd think it'd offer pretty good stability, though it might not pull the grip inward enough... Nice work as always.

I see no real reason you couldn't add a trailing belt loop similiar to the Avenger. Almost like a reverse avenger to pull in the grip. I don't know, just throwing it out there..

I was recently asked to make a belt with a Velcro liner to work basically this same way...the holster has the other side of the Velcro (hook) and this is the only way this guy will wear his rig anymore.

I didn't enjoy working with this Velcro liner.:thumbsdown:

not knocking your work, cause you do great work, but why inside the belt?

you're half way to the IWB, why not go all the way? i think it would annoy me, personally, or just be unfamiliar to me. all the holsters i've had have been IWB or OWB paddle holsters, os maybe it's just me not being used to the design.

also, what's up with the leather under the trigger guard? every one i see is like this, but if it's an IWB, or a belt carry with the belt loops attached, it seems pointless.

The main reason is because I didn't want and IWB. A lot of folks, myself included, find carrying that way uncomfortable. Not sure what you mean by extra leather under the trigger guard?

I see no real reason you couldn't add a trailing belt loop similiar to the Avenger. Almost like a reverse avenger to pull in the grip. I don't know, just throwing it out there..

The design is allready somewhat dependent on belt loop positon on the trousers. Adding a rear wing would serve no purpose functionality wise and make it more dependent on loop position.

Thanks Eric. I think carrying LH OWB it would have the same faults as any single loop belt holster. For OWB pancake or avenger is really best, but then you know that. This design really needs the belt passing over it to pull the gun in.

Mike, Nick thanks for the comments. Mike by the way I tried your mop and glow finish method on a bunch of mag pouches the other day. That works really well. I'd have to say it's, well, the kats ass.

I can think of a couple of reasons you might want to go the inside-the-belt route. Some folks find iWB uncomfortable. And IWB requires some extra room in your waistband. And it will be tighter to your body than OWB.

Do you get a lot of demand for this style? How easy is reholstering?

tk

Exactly. Yes demand is pretty good for the reasons you stated and the versatility of carry positions. One hand reholstering is no problem with the wrap around reinforcemnt it doesn't close up.

Denster. Looks awesome. I prefer OWB. Never could get comfortable with IWB. Looks like you came up with something in between that would work very well. Nice job.

Denster. Looks awesome. I prefer OWB. Never could get comfortable with IWB. Looks like you came up with something in between that would work very well. Nice job.

Thank you. Wish I could take credit for the concept but several makers make BB&WB this is just one of my iterations of the concept.

The main reason is because I didn't want and IWB. A lot of folks, myself included, find carrying that way uncomfortable. Not sure what you mean by extra leather under the trigger guard?

like i said, not knocking your work, i've just never seen one like that. and i'm always interested in peoples reasons for the way they do things. :cheers:

as to what i mean by the extra leather under the trigger guard,

holster.jpg

like i said, i see it on all holsters, why not just follow the contour of the gun if the area isn't being used for a belt loop?

Randy

OK now I understand what you mean. A matter of taste I suppose I think it looks better this way. YMMV:yes:

The design such as shown is a great way to conceal a small handgun. We've been offering this style for about 6 months or so and have found it to be very popular. We put more of a cant on ours. The trailing belt slot is not really necessary due to the overall size. With the gun canted, the belt falls across that area behind/below the trigger guard and pulls it in good and tight. We have had customers ask for the trailing belt slot, but it's really not necessary. The cant gives greater access to the grip in a strong side carry.

The design such as shown is a great way to conceal a small handgun. We've been offering this style for about 6 months or so and have found it to be very popular. We put more of a cant on ours. The trailing belt slot is not really necessary due to the overall size. With the gun canted, the belt falls across that area behind/below the trigger guard and pulls it in good and tight. We have had customers ask for the trailing belt slot, but it's really not necessary. The cant gives greater access to the grip in a strong side carry.

K-Man makes good points. Would we expect anything less:). I tend to go with neutral can't with the tiny guns. Larger guns I use cant as the barrel length and balance of gun requires. How about a pic of an example of yours K-Man.

Randy

OK now I understand what you mean. A matter of taste I suppose I think it looks better this way. YMMV:yes:

ok. i got it. i haven't made many holsters, but i didn't have much to go off of to start with.

this is what i've been doing.

004-3.jpg

003-3.jpg

006-1.jpg

i don't see the need for a reinforced throat personally. i feel if i have to pull it out, then putting it away is the last thing i'm gonna worry about.

but having the reinforcement leaves a lot more room for design, from an aesthetic point of view.

the color isn't great, i'm trying to figure out how to do a clean 2 tone without an airbrush.

Edited by randypants

Denster - looks like a good solid design to me.