Sign in to follow this  
FHL FERG

Looking For Hand Press Guide....

I saw this photo on SLC's website. I have this press and I could really use a guide like this. Anyone else ever seen it or.know where I can get it? I called SLC and they have never seen one (photo was a stock image they pulled from the Web somewhere) I talked to Tandy and they had no idea either. The mounting holes for it are present but no one seems to Know where the mysterious guide came from. Any help would be awesome!

Ferg

post-18310-093038200 1346337305_thumb.jp

Edited by FHL FERG

I know Tandy used to sell this guide, I believe it was discontinued. You might try calling the warehouse in Fort Worth, Tx, the phone number can be found on Tandy Store Locator. If there are any left laying around they would know about them. Local Stores wouldn't necessarily know. I am pretty sure this thing was available as soon as like 5 years ago. It was advertised to aid in setting decorative studs (rivets) along an edge, I never under stood it because you still have to punch the holes unless you're setting something that is very thin and can be punctured by the stud.

Give em a call in Fort Worth, that's their headquarters.

Chief

Thanks Chief! Yes, I'm using tubular rivets and my projects are in fact light enough for the rivet to puncture the hole. At any rate, I will give Tandy warehouse a try and see what I can come up with. Otherwise I will probably resort to building one....

I set things in motion at Tandy to find one. We'll see what happens.....

In the mean time if anyone has a guid they're not using and would like to sell it, let me know

Ferg

i made a table for my one ton arbor press that may fit the bill for you. You could modify it anyway you need. This is the thread.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=34570&st=0&p=214265&hl=+arbor%20+press%20+ferg&fromsearch=1entry214265

ferg

I saw this photo on SLC's website. I have this press and I could really use a guide like this. Anyone else ever seen it or.know where I can get it? I called SLC and they have never seen one (photo was a stock image they pulled from the Web somewhere) I talked to Tandy and they had no idea either. The mounting holes for it are present but no one seems to Know where the mysterious guide came from. Any help would be awesome!

Ferg

From one Ferg to another, BRAVO! I was thinking of building something but couldn't piece it together in my head. How did you attach the bed to the tabs that drop down and mount to the press? It's just barely out of sight in one of the photos.

I used two pieces of 1/2" aluminum about 2 1/2" square. Attached them to the table so they would be at the sides of the bottom portion of the press.

Drilled and tapped a thumb screw in the 1/2" block so I could tighten the table to the base of the press.

I drilled and tapped the table onto the aluminum blocks with flat head machine screws.

ferg

From one Ferg to another, BRAVO! I was thinking of building something but couldn't piece it together in my head. How did you attach the bed to the tabs that drop down and mount to the press? It's just barely out of sight in one of the photos.

Gotcha. Thanks Again.

For anyone that's curious, I did find a guide from Tandy for the press but they want 50 dollars for it. That seems a little on the ridiculous side for less than 10 bucks of aluminum for a part that was discontinued 5 years ago.

I will be building my own, similar to what is in Ferg's thread. Stay tuned......