Sign in to follow this  
jbird

Wagon wheel: Cowboy Cuffs

Howdy all

Here is the begining of some cowboy Cuffs I am making let me Know what you think thanks.

Josh

Wagon_1.jpg

Wagon2.jpg

Wagon3.jpg

Wagon_4.jpg

post-6549-1239340652_thumb.jpg

post-6549-1239340667_thumb.jpg

post-6549-1239340692_thumb.jpg

post-6549-1239340710_thumb.jpg

Those look really really good Josh!!

Those long elliptical lines is so hard to nail when you cut out the shape...gives me the creeps everytime ha ha.

Carving them as borderlines for the motif is much easier I think.

Looking forward to see you cuffs done!!

Tom

Nice job, Josh - cuffs are an often under-rated challenge.

Making a good looking set is harder than it looks as they embody almost all the elements of classic leather working in a single job - designing, burnishing, tooling and carving, staining and finishing - but the thing to remember is that the new owner is in a great position to shove them under the noses of everyone they meet so your work is displayed in close-up to the maximum nuber of people.

IMHO it pays to take a few extra minutes on the finishing of a pair of cuffs so they really reflect the quality of your workmanship.

Thanks for the input and kind words Tom I have enjoyed doing

Them so far nock on wood.

Josh

Those look really really good Josh!!

Those long elliptical lines is so hard to nail when you cut out the shape...gives me the creeps everytime ha ha.

Carving them as borderlines for the motif is much easier I think.

Looking forward to see you cuffs done!!

Tom

Thanks Ray

Great tips I will give it my best.

Josh

Nice job, Josh - cuffs are an often under-rated challenge.

Making a good looking set is harder than it looks as they embody almost all the elements of classic leather working in a single job - designing, burnishing, tooling and carving, staining and finishing - but the thing to remember is that the new owner is in a great position to shove them under the noses of everyone they meet so your work is displayed in close-up to the maximum nuber of people.

IMHO it pays to take a few extra minutes on the finishing of a pair of cuffs so they really reflect the quality of your workmanship.

Josh

Nice job so far. They will look even better when you get them finished. I like that you cut a border around the edge. I've seen around here where I live that a lot of guys here do not do that to me that look like they are taking short cuts. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Mark

thanks Mark

I am of the mind set to do it the best way you can and then do it better the next time and so on.

Josh

Josh those look great! I do have one suggestion though and that is when doing cuffs they usually are not the same for the left wrist as for the right wrist it looks as though you have cut out both cuffs for the same wrist. one shoud go the opposite direction than the other one. so when you cut them out you need to flip your pattern over to have it correct for the opposite wrist. not trying to disrespect your work as I think you did a great job with your layout and tooling. thanks for sharing them.

Hay skip thanks for the input and yes your quite right sir I blew it on that.

Josh