glockanator

When Did Y'all Make The Switch?

From Tandy leather to a better quality leather for holsters? How many did you make before swithcing?

From Tandy leather to a better quality leather for holsters? How many did you make before swithcing?

I gave up on Tandy leather in Cincinnati after about a half dozen projects. I found I got better leather from Siegle's (now gone) and Weaver. When I traveled to Weaver I found a lot of good stuff. I still do good when I order from Weaver. I do 60% CMSA/SASS gun rigs, 30% CCW holsters, and 10% "other" stuff.

To be fair, I still go to the Cincinnati store for other leather, such as lining leather and various tools and other necessaries....and the tooling leather in the store has slowly been improving over the last 6 months or so. Dunno if it's the store or the entire franchise. I haven't needed any leather, but I MAY consider buying some next time I'm buying.

Now, their saddle skirting.....yeck. Always been bad, still as bad as ever.

I switched to Wicket and Craig about a year ago, and havent looked back. I have tried Hermann Oak, but didn't see much difference in the piece I had. I had made lots of holsters from Tandy leather, but wont go back to it now. I rarely buy anything there now, unless I happen to need something and they have a deal on it.

DM

Switch as soon as you have your patterns all "dialed in". You will be amazed how much easier better leather is to work with, your edges will look better and your molding will as well. If tooling one the casing process and burnishing effects you have been reading about but can never quite master will "appear". It was not always operator error that things did not happen like you wanted them to after following all the right steps. sometimes it was just poor quality leather.

I have been buying from Roger Fulmer of RJF leather (a sponsor here on LW.net) it has been some of the finest consistency and least waste of any place else I have bought leather. The worst part of these hides is better than most hides at our Tandy leather store (N. Phoenix location) Also you can buy it pre dyed saving an entire step for some belts and holster projects. Saddle soap it, oil or condition, do the edges, seal it and done!

Hope this helps,

I made the switch when a friend wanted a couple of IWB holsters. I had Springfield Leather cut me some Hermann Oak to make them out of. Before that I'd made two holsters with a Tandy Craftsman Oak single shoulder. I continued making stuff for myself with it until it was used up. I actually got good color, molding and edges with it. It's the only piece I ever bought though, so maybe I got lucky with that one. I'm currently working on my first projects with Wickett and Craig. I've also made a few projects now out of horsehide.

Paul

I started with W&C. Your only as good as your raw materials IMO.

Just ordered my first hide from W&C. Bought 10/11 and having it taken down to 8/9. Finally finished my first and last Tandy hide. Bought the best they had and even with my Super Duper $150 gold memebership it was over $8/ sq. ft. The W&C was $7.33. Can't wait to play eith this.