Sign in to follow this  
jbags

Game Straps?

Hey guys,

I have been lurking and learning for awhile. I have only recently began producing a few items (pistol holster and mag holsters, by necessity) but was inspired to make a game strap for use in the field this season. This was my first time to attach anything with rivets, and first try at tooling! I really got off line as you can see from the pic.

Is anyone familiar with producing game straps? Just looking for some ideas of how to make it better. Should I sew a piece under the shoulder part for more friction and padding? what would you use? what could I use to make it softer and more plyable. I used oil dye, followed by eco-flow satin shene, then applied a coat of Obenaufs LP to hopefully help waterproof. Thanks for any help you can provide. I have attached a pic if you have any comments, and don't worry I have thick skin. :yes:

Jason

100_3010.JPG

100_3013.JPG

post-12047-125790851447_thumb.jpg

post-12047-125790857878_thumb.jpg

Hi Jason, the only ones i have seen hang from a belt on your waist with a loop/tunnel for your belt to go through. It seems to me that hanging it over your should would get in the way plus wear your shoulder out. Having said i have never used one either so i may be wrong. If you pad it i would use some neorpine and put a piece of suede over that to help with it sliding off. As far as softing it up you might try pulling it down across you leg.

Take a compass, divider or a pencil and mark light lines and you will have a guide line to start your tooling from. I try to start in the middle and work out to either side.

Hi Jason

for a first time i would be very happy with that these are what i sell here in the UK http://www.hcleathers.co.uk/products_9.html i stopped using the lighter colours on the bird carries because of the blood staining and reduced the number of thongs to 8 as you get 16 pheasants on one carrier they are heavy enough whit them

all the best HC