greekgod

Questions About Quality Tools And Where Can One Compromise On Quality If Ever, Of Tools?

G'day guys,

Its been nearly 1 week since I got into this hobby and, like everyone else I was really excited to get my tools and get started. I realised very quickly that this is a very expensive affair.

I have got some tools, most of them from the only leathercraft here in Perth and the quality is.... well (All made in Taiwan) ..I then bought some used tools which includes a good quality diamond Awl and a beveler (number 4). From what I see there is not much difference in terms of usage and quality in many of the Taiwanese tools and says for eg Osborne tools ( I know many of them are of higher quality but just the basic start up ones are similar)

NOW I really would like to get into using a pricing iron and hand stitching and so wanted to know if one should always invest in a top quality Pricking iron ( which are EXPENSIVE!) from someone like Vergez Blanchard or would something made in China/India be as good? Personally I would love to get a couple of Vergez Blanchard ones but too exp for my pocket at the moment...

Plz have a look at the tools I proudly own at the moment.

Thx.. and your comments please.

post-46283-0-30243400-1383055358_thumb.j

post-46283-0-66375500-1383055372_thumb.j

post-46283-0-77741600-1383055392_thumb.j

Thanks for that electrathon appreciate the info....will do.

If you had to pic one , money not being an issue, which one would it be in terms of quality? Vergez Blanchard or Joseph Dixion or someone I still dont know about??

Thanks for that electrathon appreciate the info....will do.

If you had to pic one , money not being an issue, which one would it be in terms of quality? Vergez Blanchard or Joseph Dixion or someone I still dont know about??

If you are talking about pricking irons, Blanchard are a bit higher quality than dixons, finished off a bit better, I've compared them side by side

But the marks they make on the leather ? I doubt you would notice any difference , tool longevity ? I doubt you would notice any difference, they are both very well made & made for pro use.

However, price wise, there is a huge difference between them, if you are going to order a few different sizes the Blanchards quickly become crazy money.

The goods japan ones are made for punching diamond holes, very different to the dixons/blanchards , still good, but a different tool entirely in my opinion & if you want to do high stitches per inch then dixons/blanchard are your only choice.

The goods japan ones are made for punching diamond holes, very different to the dixons/blanchards , still good, but a different tool entirely in my opinion & if you want to do high stitches per inch then dixons/blanchard are your only choice.

I agree with this. They are differant, but still very functional. Not inferior, just differant. If you want stitches that look line sewing off a tiny needle and tine thread, they are not the answer. Much of the sewing we do in leather work is done with big thread, so I actually prefer the diamond holes they produce over the slits.

Thanks Macca, that helps me a lot and I am much clearer in what I want now. I did see identical pricking irons on eBay which were made in China. They look similar but I doubt would be same quality wise? They only cost $27 ...

Looks like I will have to get both electrathon ;)

Guys what do you think of the tools I have bought? Are they ok? ..any comments on the quality (as much as you can see in the pics). The metal ruler is fantastic..it was nearly $40!

Everything looks good to me. That set should get you started just fine.

The safety ruler is your friend in leatherwork. Because the tools for leather have to be so sharp, keep in mind that the best safety equipment is your own head. Don't rush or you will bleed.

Ya, you laugh about the blood until you slip with a stropped blade. If this is your first hands on hobby as it sounds like it might be, please do develop a safety mind set.

As far as needles go, I'd go cheap and get a lot of them. Sewing leather is not like sewing fabric. You will go through a few learning hole sizes and the power needed to sew thick leather.

No no I took what you said seriously..but the way your said it was funny. It's my very first time and that's why I got the safest metal ruler I could find. I also took one leather class last week and that's exactly what the guy told me...to be very careful.

Good idea I'll get the Al cheapo needles to start of with. Still can't find any cheap pricking iron.

Edited by greekgod

Ya, good pricking irons are not cheap. Tandy expects everyone to start off with the overstitch wheel. Honestly, I use lacing chisels for both lacing and stitching. Some people really don't like that look though, and you can argue that it is a weaker stitch then an awl. I would go with one of the offerings from Goods Japan. The Japanese tools really are the best middle ground between quality and price right now.

Speaking of strops, that would be my next "tool" if I were you. You'll find that one will be useful even with your utility knife blades. I've found that there is a big difference between a brand new utility blade before and after stropping. You'll also make your blades last much longer, even though they are sold as "disposable."

You'll find a strop making tutorial in the "How Do I Do That" section.

And, good luck on your leatherwork journey!

Michelle

Speaking of strops, that would be my next "tool" if I were you. You'll find that one will be useful even with your utility knife blades. I've found that there is a big difference between a brand new utility blade before and after stropping. You'll also make your blades last much longer, even though they are sold as "disposable."

You'll find a strop making tutorial in the "How Do I Do That" section.

And, good luck on your leatherwork journey!

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

I just bought a strop today .. I have put up a thread with pictures in the Leather tools section .. if you have some time please have a look and tell me what youthin about it ... Thanks very much

Cheers

Param

Param, please see your strop thread for my comments. :)