Sign in to follow this  
blade

Rounding Leather

ok i wonder if there is a way to make a 3/4 " wide strip of 6 oz leather round?

ok i wonder if there is a way to make a 3/4 " wide strip of 6 oz leather round?

You need...well, a leather rounder. They have a series of progressively smaller holes that the leather is drawn through.

ok so what is a "leather rounder"? can i get it at tandy? if not where and what does it look like? i have a few tools and am allways buy or makeing more so if i can see one i just might beable to build one

The Stolman Art of Hand Sewing Leather book goes over this in more detail, but the short of it is, folding it in half, sew a piece of filler leather in between, trim excess filler and edges, then moisten and slide it back and forth in a rounder. Basically, it's a plate or block of wood with holes that split in half and clamp around the workpiece. I can't seem to find a pic online, but it's not a piece of high tech or anything.

Edited by BustedThumb

Weaver Leather sells an Osborne tool to round leather straps. The tool has a number of different hole sizes. Check their website to see if it's what you need.

sounds simpel enough and ill have to see if i can make one when i get back home for my home time in the mean time ill look in weaver's site to see if i can get a look at one thank you all

Hi Blade

This is what it looks like and according the ALS, you fold the leather over and then sew together using a "hidden" stiching groove, which is a slit in the leather as apposed to the normal gouged stiching groove. If necessary, you can fill the hollow with a filler (leather or cord) before sewing. Then wet and pull through the rounder - using smaller and smaller hole until you get a round final product - dry, dye and finish - sounds simple - let us know how it goes - post a tutorial !!

leather_1.jpg

post-13995-126996429329_thumb.jpg

thanks i think im going to try and make one and ill take some pics to post also