Hello everyone

Is it normal for vinegaroon to keep changing colours? I made some up and it keeps going from clear to brown.

I put some of the clear liquid into another jar it then went brown also. when the liquid is clear it turns the leather a darker colour than when it's brown.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheer Spencer

The stuff i put in the other jar went cherry red. And none of it turns the leather black anymore just a blue gray colour:wtf:

Cheers Spencer

I'm not expert but I have made a couple jars of Vinegaroon and it seems to work well for me. My first jar was as clear as water and my second jar was brown. They both seemed to work well so I mixed them together and so far so good.

On one project the leather wasn't turning as black as I wanted, more of a grey black so I gave the leather a bath in strong black coffee and then added the Vinegaroon again. That seemed to help for me. The leather needed more tanis (SP?) for the Vinegaroon to react.

Tell me guys, why use vingaroon instead of black dye? If its so hard to deal with is it better some how?

I'm no expert -- only on my first batch of vinegaroon and made just a few items with it, but the reason I use it is because once it is in the leather, it's there to stay. It won't wear off like a dye will. There are difficulties in using vinegaroon, but once you get the process down it's not too bad.

I'm no expert -- only on my first batch of vinegaroon and made just a few items with it, but the reason I use it is because once it is in the leather, it's there to stay. It won't wear off like a dye will. There are difficulties in using vinegaroon, but once you get the process down it's not too bad.

I agree with RobDude30 plus I've had as much problems with store bought dyes as I have had with Vinegaroon and the problems I've had with Vinegaroon was the leather being real old and abused and I was experimenting with it. The one big draw for me with Vinegaroon is it brings another level of homemade/handmade to my projects.

Edited by KB8UVM

It's working now, everything is going black:)

It's working now, everything is going black:)

Glad to hear it. What did you do to get it to work?

Glad to hear it. What did you do to get it to work?

I added more wire wool and left it a few more days :)

I added more wire wool and left it a few more days :)

Try adding some more vinegar as well - when the mix turns brown it generally means the iron was not completely dissolved by the acid and then the acid went a weak so the left over iron rusted rather than dissolved. To help dissolve the iron be sure and stir things failry often so the iron gets exposed to the fumes in the container - it's the acid fumes that dissolve the iron into solution, although you can also just disslove the iron in plain waterand use that but it takes much longer to dissolve.

Also as noted add some more tannins if need be - this can be done before or after applying the vinegar black - just do them while both are still wet.

Is it possible to make any other colours with thing available around the house? (something cheap as i'm skint):(

Is it possible to make any other colours with thing available around the house? (something cheap as i'm skint):(

Strong black coffee makes a decent brown dye - it needs to soak longer in the coffe so I often case with the coffee then tool.......I use the really dark roast and boil it up with about equal amounts of water- 1 can of coffee to 1 can of water - the grounds can be used at least twice and you can also bury the piece in the grounds for a stronger color.

Once dry seal like you do any commercial dye.

If you did use copper instead of steel what colour will you get?

Cheers Spencer

in theory, it would be blue... but i doubt that it would work the same way... and i believe, if i remember correctly, it would be at a min. toxic or cause rashes with prolonged contact with the skin.. and destroy the leather...

eric

If copper is no good what about aluminium?

How about trying all the "what abouts"? :Lighten::whistle:

Aluminum will react and discolor leather. As will most (all?) metals if it gets wet at the contact point with leather. The chemicals in the veg tan and the metal react.

If no one else ponies up the experiment, let me know and I'll do it. I've got all kinds of scrap around here from projects, including aluminum. I don't use vinegaroon - tried it but never felt comfortable with it in my holsters. I've tried the tea and coffee stains but they were pretty weak.

I've been trying the copper and so far it is taking ages to dissolve and all it does so far is slightly darken the leather.

I'll give the aluminium a try later.

I've tried aluminiun and copper and niether of them seem to do anything except make the the leather look dirty.

Sorry to bring this thread up again.

I made up a jar of vinegar and copper which has been brewing for two months and tried it on some leather yesterday.

It verdegreed the leather and gave it a look of something thats been hanging in a barn for 20 years.