the gafer

What Size Needles Do I Need

hi all i have just got my self a sun star industrial sewing machine and the needles that came with it are too small and me being new to sewing machines i don't no what size i need i can thread it just but when i atempt to sew the thread seems to gather up and snap round the eye of the needle if any of you guys can help me that would be fantastic.

many thanks kev

Their should be a size on the package the needles came in. Then you can call a dealer and ask for a bigger size. If theirs no package the size should be on the needle it's self in real small letters on the upper part of the needle. When you call a dealer tell them what size thread your using and they should be able to help you out.

Kev;

What size thread are you trying to use? Can you see any readable number on the needles you have, like this: 90, 100, 110, or 14, 16, 18, etc? Use a magnifying glass if necessary, to read what is engraved into the upper shank of the needles.

What type of feed mechanism does your machine have?

the thread i use is size 10 nylon well thats what it says on the spool and the needles what came with it say size 16 i just don't no what size i would need what i wont the machine for is to speed things up for me i have a few of my collars on a post maybe that would give an idea of the size of thread i use ?

I always measures my needles with a caliper, a metric size 120 is 1,2 mm in diameter, a 90 is 0,9 mm and so on. For a Singer size system use a conversation chart on internet.

I recognize the size 16 needle. This is used with US size 46 or 69 bonded nylon thread. I don't know what #10 nylon equates to. That is not a US measurement.

As a reference, the standard #50 cotton or polycore thread used in home sewing machines is slightly smaller than #69 (T70) bonded nylon. Buttonhole thread is usually a little thicker than #69. My guess is that #69 thread is about .25mm thick.

Most heavy leather sewing in the USA is done with #277 bonded nylon thread, using a #25 needle, which is a #200 metric. The machines that sew with this heavy thread are usually clones of the Juki 441, or Adler 205, or the ancient Singer 45k. #277 thread is about .5mm thick.

Whatever size thread you want to use, the eye of the needle must pass it freely, without binding.

The thread is binding with a size 16 needle so maybe a size 18 or somthing like that I can feel the thread binding when I pull it through so I will do a little looking around thanks guys

The thread is binding with a size 16 needle so maybe a size 18 or somthing like that I can feel the thread binding when I pull it through so I will do a little looking around thanks guys

Hi,

Read the pinned topic " neat trick for needle sizing" top site here. Metric size 10 equal to Tex 270, and if thats a 17 singer needle it equals to metric size 105. I am surprised if you even could get that thread true the needle eye. You need a 200 needle for that thread (a 180 minimum), twice as big. I do not think your Sunstar takes that big needle sizes. However, you have not told anybody what kind of machine you have, so thats possible for all I know.

It just says its a sunstar that's all I can see on it I shal have another look to morow I have just baught some 18 of ebay going to give them a whirl if all else fails the machine will have to go back what machine should I be looking at if this one doesn't work with the thread I use

It just says its a sunstar that's all I can see on it I shal have another look to morow I have just baught some 18 of ebay going to give them a whirl if all else fails the machine will have to go back what machine should I be looking at if this one doesn't work with the thread I use

This is a question about thread size, it must have the correct size needle. I guess it would be easier to change thread size. OK post a picture of your machine and the thread, then we can help you. I do not know what kind of work you want to sew either. On the front left side of the machine head you have a model number. What number has it?

I am going to be sewing leather collars and its a sun star km 137a

That looks to be a similar machine to the 797 machines that Steve had. I don't think that's a walking foot machine, and my google-fu said it uses up to size 18 needle.

No its not a walking foot

I believe you can forget about using that machine for sewing anything heavier than a leather vest or your pants and shirts. Here are its specs.

The woman who's machine it is did a test piece with thiner thread and it did the job on 2 bits of leather witch are 2 1/2mm thick so overall thicknes was 5mm and she sewn them together I havn't baught it yet o if it don't work she can have it back