Menolly

What Is This?

Can anyone tell me what kind of machine this is? and if you know anything about it? I have a chance to buy it for $150 and it's local. Any info would be muchly appreciated. grouphug5vj5.gif

post-17944-033706400 1326652266_thumb.jp

post-17944-099580500 1326652294_thumb.jp

post-17944-092072200 1326652327_thumb.jp

post-17944-019429500 1326652350_thumb.jp

post-17944-051789100 1326652364_thumb.jp

post-17944-014856700 1326652379_thumb.jp

It is Singer for sewing sails and leather. Perfect for auto upholstery or heavy leather work.

That is all I know. Wiz can probably fill you in on the particulars.

ferg

Can anyone tell me what kind of machine this is? and if you know anything about it? I have a chance to buy it for $150 and it's local. Any info would be muchly appreciated. grouphug5vj5.gif

That is the most beat up and rusted out Singer 111w102 I have ever seen. Yes, it will sew leather. No, it is not worth $150, unless you plan on restoring it yourself, as a labor of love. Machines that are so badly rusted on the outside are usually as bad inside. If that is the case, you will be replacing rods, cranks, gears, shafts, shuttle, and who knows what else. Or, you may get lucky and it is only external surface rust. It's a crap shoot.

This particular sub-class of the 111 has bottom feed only. Most upholstery shops and leather workers use walking foot, triple feed machines only. This is not such a machine. It also lacks reverse, so you'll have to either tie off the threads, or spin the work around 180 to back-tack. The stitch length can only be changed by pushing down a button on the body and rotating the hand-wheel one way or the other, then releasing that button.

It appears to be setup with #22 needles and #138 thread. I can use a bigger needle and one size larger thread, depending on the condition of the tensioners.

You should go and test the machine before offering any money at all. Seeing and hearing it operate will tell you whether it is worth anything at all.

Hey Thanks Wiz

The motor sounded good and all the parts moved. There is a local shop that does industrial machines I was going to drop it off at immediately after buying it.

That is the most beat up and rusted out Singer 111w102 I have ever seen. Yes, it will sew leather. No, it is not worth $150, unless you plan on restoring it yourself, as a labor of love. Machines that are so badly rusted on the outside are usually as bad inside. If that is the case, you will be replacing rods, cranks, gears, shafts, shuttle, and who knows what else. Or, you may get lucky and it is only external surface rust. It's a crap shoot.

This particular sub-class of the 111 has bottom feed only. Most upholstery shops and leather workers use walking foot, triple feed machines only. This is not such a machine. It also lacks reverse, so you'll have to either tie off the threads, or spin the work around 180 to back-tack. The stitch length can only be changed by pushing down a button on the body and rotating the hand-wheel one way or the other, then releasing that button.

It appears to be setup with #22 needles and #138 thread. I can use a bigger needle and one size larger thread, depending on the condition of the tensioners.

You should go and test the machine before offering any money at all. Seeing and hearing it operate will tell you whether it is worth anything at all.

It is Singer for sewing sails and leather. Perfect for auto upholstery or heavy leather work.

That is all I know. Wiz can probably fill you in on the particulars.

ferg

Thanks Ferg thankyou.gif

Hopefully, you can buy this machine for no more than $100, considering that it will cost another 2 or 3 hundred to fix it up in a shop.

Needle feed machines are good for thin slippery materials and possibly light leather but not great for the heavy stuff.

Needle feed machines are good for thin slippery materials and possibly light leather but not great for the heavy stuff.

ooops, no it isn't a needlefeed!

It looks similar to a head that I was offered for $25, but passed on. Not having reverse kinda ended it for me. I see lots of industrial machines on Craigslist. Found 2 Adler patchers on there so far.