Sign in to follow this  
getdown

Introduction

hello i just joined this place i have been a leather worker for around 30 yrs and i am in search of some linen thread my sorce dosent carry it any more dose any one know of a place that carrys it i do custom holsters and gunbelts if any one can help me it would be wonderful thank you in advance pj

hello i just joined this place i have been a leather worker for around 30 yrs and i am in search of some linen thread my sorce dosent carry it any more dose any one know of a place that carrys it i do custom holsters and gunbelts if any one can help me it would be wonderful thank you in advance pj

Howdy & Welcome, GETDOWN. I think what you are wanting will be "BARBOURS PURE FLAX"

it can or use to be found at a supplier of shoe findings and supplies.

Here in Memphis it would be Southern Leather Co.

ask one of the Shoe Repair men in your neck of the woods. :cheers:

P S the reg linen thread is not very strong.

Edited by Luke Hatley

Howdy & Welcome, GETDOWN. I think what you are wanting will be "BARBOURS PURE FLAX"

it can or use to be found at a supplier of shoe findings and supplies.

Here in Memphis it would be Southern Leather Co.

ask one of the Shoe Repair men in your neck of the woods. :cheers:

P S the reg linen thread is not very strong.

thank you for the info i will check into it and your right about the linen thread being weak i will check for it at ashoe suplier thanks again pj

Getdown, i have been busy.. Check these folks out..

Midwest Knifemakers Supply.. they have it.

"it aint cheap, but it is good" :cowboy:

Edited by Luke Hatley

Hi PJ,

I use linen in my Campbell, you can hand stitch with it too. I get it from Campbell Bosworth Machinery Co.

http://www.campbell-bosworth.com/

Others carry it but Campbell is about the least expensive I've found, none of it is cheap. I would try to get the newest product as sometimes (depending on how it is stored I think) the older stuff has some breaking problems.

Art

.........I use linen in my Campbell, you can hand stitch with it too. I get it from Campbell Bosworth Machinery Co..........

Makes it nice and handy to just pull off a few feet from the ol' stitcher for that bit of hand stitching and it matches the rest of the project, too.

Hi there Trevor From NZ. Cane you guys /gals tell me the benefits of using this linen thread over Nylon or Poly. I have been using these for years and never looked back. Is there a reason?? thanks

Hi there Trevor From NZ. Cane you guys /gals tell me the benefits of using this linen thread over Nylon or Poly. I have been using these for years and never looked back. Is there a reason?? thanks

well for my self i do all hand stiching of holsters and gunbelts and its more of the period for the holsters that i do p.j.

Hi Trevor,

Period work often requires or even demands linen, there wasn't a lot of Nylon in the 1800s although there were sewing machines commonly in use (for leatherwork) from about the 1870s on, even in the West. Linen (flax based) thread takes dye much better than Nylon or any of the ester based threads. Linen is also easier on older sewing machines than synthetics although few of us sew enough to make a lot of difference there.

Art

I get my linen thread from Beiler's Manufacturing and Supply, 3025 Irishtown Road, Ronks, PA 17572, Phone, 717-768-0174. I use it on my gun belts and holsters, and it sure looks nice! Maybe it won't last as long as nylon, but it's still my preference.

Kathy

I get my linen thread from Beiler's Manufacturing and Supply, 3025 Irishtown Road, Ronks, PA 17572, Phone, 717-768-0174. I use it on my gun belts and holsters, and it sure looks nice! Maybe it won't last as long as nylon, but it's still my preference.

Kathy

Beilers does have good prices on many of the items they sell (they also manufacture things too). They are an Amish/Mennonite concern, so they don't take credit cards (checks, money orders, & cash [if you pick up]) & deal with the horse-drawn buggy clientele to a great extent.

I get mine from Royalwood Ltd. Waxed Irish linen thread in lots of colors and several weights. Nice lady.

Royalwood Ltd.

517 Woodville Rd.

Mansfield, Ohio 44907

Phone: 1-419-526-1630

1-800-526-1630 (toll free)

Fax: 1-419-526-1618 (24 Hr.)

1-888-526-1618 (24 Hr. - toll free)

E-mail: orders@royalwoodltd.com

Hi PJ,

I use linen in my Campbell, you can hand stitch with it too. I get it from Campbell Bosworth Machinery Co.

http://www.campbell-bosworth.com/

Others carry it but Campbell is about the least expensive I've found, none of it is cheap. I would try to get the newest product as sometimes (depending on how it is stored I think) the older stuff has some breaking problems.

Art

I took a look at the link, and it left me with a couple of questions. For starters, what difference does left twist versus right twist make ?

Second question, will any of the linen threads work on the Tippman Boss?

And last, I'm assuming one doesn't run waxed linen thread on a sewing machine, but we all know about assumptions...

Thanks.

twistingsz_1_.gif

Twist Direction

As threads pass through a sewing machine some

additional twist may be added. For this reason the

direction in which the thread is twisted becomes

important. A thread with a Z-twist, or left twist, is

engineered specifically for the sewing machine. The

action of the sewing process tends to increase the

twist of a Z-twisted thread, but can actually untwist

a thread with S-twist, or right twist.

post-1669-1187496911_thumb.jpg

twistingsz_1_.gif

Twist Direction

As threads pass through a sewing machine some

additional twist may be added. For this reason the

direction in which the thread is twisted becomes

important. A thread with a Z-twist, or left twist, is

engineered specifically for the sewing machine. The

action of the sewing process tends to increase the

twist of a Z-twisted thread, but can actually untwist

a thread with S-twist, or right twist.

Thank you :) I knew there had to be some significance. I can just see me tearing my sewing machine apart trying to find out why it's not working, all because I had the wrong twist.

It's been one of *those* days today.

Hi Peter,

Use left twist on everything but curved needle machines. I lube my linen thread with a paraffin based wax lube that I get from Campbell. I don't wax the bobbin, but you could.

Art

I took a look at the link, and it left me with a couple of questions. For starters, what difference does left twist versus right twist make ?

Second question, will any of the linen threads work on the Tippman Boss?

And last, I'm assuming one doesn't run waxed linen thread on a sewing machine, but we all know about assumptions...

Thanks.

I never been able to use linen thread on my boss sewing machine, it always break.

I tried a polyester thread that i like a lot, it never break when i stich, made by "gutermann"

I just cannot find back the exact same number, if someone know where...it was M2654 or D-tex 2650(4) NM 15/4

Equivalent to a 18/3.

I do not like nylon for hand-stitching, too stiff. Polyester is quite stretchy, maybe too much, but well...it is strong

I buy my linen thread from england, Abbey saddlery carry 2 brands. Sometime i receive excellent bobbin, other time, thread just seem to break every two stiched, i discard it...kind of costy. I have an old bobbin who is excellent and a newer i receive that just break, so it is not just the age that play for that. I use to groove a line where i know there will have more rubbing on the piece, thats extend the life of the stitching. ex: underside of a belt stitching.

Is leather alcool dye bad for linen? I always stich the color i want, never dye it. As you need to wax the thread before to stich, it should not take it very well? Unless you dye it before stitching, well i guess thats what you do...

I found my gutterman thread in NY, just genial this thread

The problem ist that you find the Barbour's unwaxed thread only in natural color. So if would like to have it black or other colors you must dye it. But what kind of dye do you use for it?

Thanks

I use Barbour Black UNWAXED thread...go see here you can buy some: tape abbey saddlery in google

coats and barbour is same

Hello

5 cords is 18/5 is im not wrong, i have some bobbins here of 18/5 and it is similar in thickness to the tandy waxed linen thread (if you know), for a stitching like 6point per inch it is great.

4 cord is 18/4

3 cords is 18/3

smaller 3 cord is 25/3

si i guess if the first number is bigger, the thread is smaller so 40/3 should be very fine