Denster

Box stitching attachment for Tippmann Boss

On a whim I bought a box stitching attachment for the Tippmann Boss on eBay. Tippmann no longer makes this attachment and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it or possibly an instruction sheet I could purchase a copy of?

My experience with it is that you need a good trained chimpanzee to help you. It takes two hands to really hold and steady the work. Unfortunately the Boss requires your third arm to run it. You need to keep the piece really shoved up in there, since the stitching motion tends to push it down and away, and you then sew off the corner. You talk nicely to the help and explain the procedure, then you get a little tenser, and about the third wreck you say something you shouldn't. I can run a two man post hole auger with my wife just fine, but the box attachment was not good. Since my wife wouldn't let me get the chimp, in the interest of marital harmony I got rid of the box attachment for the Boss and went back to handsewing those corners.

My experience with it is that you need a good trained chimpanzee to help you. It takes two hands to really hold and steady the work. Unfortunately the Boss requires your third arm to run it. You need to keep the piece really shoved up in there, since the stitching motion tends to push it down and away, and you then sew off the corner. You talk nicely to the help and explain the procedure, then you get a little tenser, and about the third wreck you say something you shouldn't. I can run a two man post hole auger with my wife just fine, but the box attachment was not good. Since my wife wouldn't let me get the chimp, in the interest of marital harmony I got rid of the box attachment for the Boss and went back to handsewing those corners.

Bruce

Thanks for the response. I guess your experience may be why Tippmann discontinued it. I was guessing, just looking at it, that having an octopus in your geneology might be helpful. I did wonder what you did with the presser foot. Do you just raise it to the max and rest it on top of the attachment and let it thump along?

I was going to get a chimp for the extra hands but then I heard about what happened with that chimp in New York, so I decided I'll get married next year.

Doesn't that seem a little drastic?

Art

I was going to get a chimp for the extra hands but then I heard about what happened with that chimp in New York, so I decided I'll get married next year.

I can run a two man post hole auger with my wife just fine, but the box attachment was not good. Since my wife wouldn't let me get the chimp, in the interest of marital harmony I got rid of the box attachment for the Boss and went back to handsewing those corners.

"I was going to get a chimp for the extra hands but then I heard about what happened with that chimp in New York, so I decided I'll get married next year."

That may be as good a reason to get married as any. Just remember you were warned. I would not ask the new bride to hold the piece while you sew with the box attachment, or it will be couchville. :eusa_naughty: