ReneeCanady

Leather Projects For The Uss San Antonio Navy Ship

http://s1301.beta.ph...ry/Leather mugs

I made a mug for my brother in law who took it out to sea with him a few weeks ago. I have had MANY orders flowing in since then. Here is a link to a few of the mugs and a few that are still in progress.

Great work. What do you use for liner? Easy to see why others would want one, or more.

Ray

Thanks Ray! I dye the inside first and then use an epoxy resin to seal it. It takes 2 coats to get a really nice seal and just enough weight to balance that huge heavy handle lol.

Renee, those are really awesome.....perfectly made and so attractive. Cheryl

Thank you Cheryl! I think I need to break down and finally order a makers stamp. Kind of sad that I have so much money invested into leather working and never got one lol.

WOW! really impressive work Renee. Really like the handles.

I always thought the idea of leather mugs somewhat off putting...now my mind is totally changed.

Did you figure out the process yourself or is there a tutorial somewhere?

I'm also trying to decide if i should get a stamp or the next bit of leather!

adam

Renee, I used a horseshoe stamp twice sideways WHEN I remember, lol. Not that I'm not proud of my things I'm doing but simply forget that step. Your stuff is wonderful and certainly deserves a stamp! Cheryl

Very nicely done Ms. Renee. And yes, by all means, it's time for a maker's mark. Your work deserves it.

You guys are making me feel all warm and cozie (keep it up) LOL. Adam...The very first mug I made was last year for my husband to play with at the renn faires. I did watch a tutorial for that one, but it was all leather. I think I found it on youtube. However, I have changed it up a lot. For instance, I don't make a leather bottom for 2 reasons 1. being I am not so good at sewing on an angle and 2 it has to be perfectly flat to sit right. I have a drill press and a 4" hole saw attachment that I use to cut 4" circles out of wood as my bottom. The handle is pretty heavy so the wooden bottom also helps balance that weight out.

I just dyed the one with flames on it black. Oh, I can't wait to see that one assembled!

Ingenious - couldnt do that myself - my hole saw uses a drillbit as a guide so the mug would have a perfectly central hole!

If you dont mind me asking (and if its a secret thats fine) how do attach the handles?

I laugh because the first time I did it with the drill press and put a hole in the bottom also lol. I use the drill press for that also. Attached with screws thru the leather into the handle.

hmmm...i can feel another project queueing up behind my two current ones!

Ingenious - couldnt do that myself - my hole saw uses a drillbit as a guide so the mug would have a perfectly central hole!

Remove the alignment bit from the hole saw. Clamp the board to the table. Drill a round hole w/o a pilot. Go very slow at the start.