Ruark

Purpose Of D-Ring Hobble?

It seems to me like most full double rig saddles have a hobble strap connecting the front and rear D rings. I've never been able to figure out just what purpose this served. Those D rings aren't going anywhere, and it's more leather under your leg. Does it really serve a necessary purpose, or is this one of those things we do because it's always been done that way? You can see one on Johanna's "Saddle Nomenclature" post, on page 3.

-Ruark

Ruark,

The purpose of the strap going from the front ring to the rear ring is to insure that the rigging assembly is strong and one unit. Since this type of rigging is designed for roping, the strap keeps the front dee from pulling forward when backing a horse while dragging a calf. Cheap saddles may use a 3/4 inch strap attached with cheap rivets. In this case, you are right, this doesn't do much. However, well made saddles will be 1 inch wide and attached with copper rivets or laced. Also, like you mentioned, it's the way it's always been done.

Ron

I believe the main function for the hobble is to act as a"ramp" for the stirrup leather. So it slides over the dee making for easier forward movement of the fender and leather.

CW

The two replies above are correct. In addition to easier movement of stirrup leather, it keeps the stirrup leather from fouling on the dee. If you've had this happen, you'll know how annoying it can be. On new construction with a dee ring rig, I generally incorporate a safe of sorts into the hobble strap to cover the rear edge of the front dee rigging leather and extend up against the bottom of the swells where it is secured with nails and/or screws. This helps limit wear on the rigging leather, stirrup leather and fender. I have seen saddles come in for repair where any of those three parts are wore very badly due to friction of the stirrup leather and fender rubbing the rigging leather.

Ruark,Since this type of rigging is designed for roping, the strap keeps the front dee from pulling forward when backing a horse while dragging a calf.

The front dee doesn't pull forward when backing a horse dragging a calf. It pulls backward.

In addition to easier movement of stirrup leather, it keeps the stirrup leather from fouling on the dee.

I tend to agree with that. I can't think of any other purpose it might have.