Newtoyou

Just Got A Steal? Or Did I Get Ripped Off?

I just purchased this saddle for 150 of of craigslist. Took it to a saddle repair shop and asked for them to shorten the fenders and condition it. He said that he couldnt make the fenders shorter and reccomended that I buy a new saddle from him.....OK. He told me that this was a mexican made saddle and it was crap but said that He would buy it from me for 120.00...HUH? anyway I like the tooling on it. The tree is rawhide covered, and the leather is thick, much thicker than todays saddles. It is pretty heavy but I havent weighed it yet.

The guy I bought it from said that his mom had it custom made in the early .80s by saddle maker in the pacific northwest. I live in Wa state. His mom had the saddle in storage for several years and when she passed away they cleaned out the storage and found this. It was dry but not cracked and the fenders are STIFF but in good condition otherwise. Im new to the picture posting so forgive me if they dont turn out! Does anyone have any info on this saddle or can give me good advice?

Thank you!!

post-26913-048306200 1322785687_thumb.jp

post-26913-055292400 1322786258_thumb.jp

post-26913-057351400 1322786272_thumb.jp

post-26913-028224000 1322786281_thumb.jp

post-26913-045984300 1322786293_thumb.jp

post-26913-040817300 1322786306_thumb.jp

post-26913-064829600 1322786313_thumb.jp

post-26913-062926200 1322786323_thumb.jp

I would say that the saddlemaker is spot on, and the man who sold it to you was not truthful! Sorry, but we all learn by our mistakes! I don't think you are hurt to bad on the price you paid, if that helps any!

I cannot really tell too much from the pictures. If it was hand made or custom made it would most likely have a makers stamp somewhere. It not then it is most likely inported. Did you get ripped off? I don't think so, you are into it for 150 and that is about what it's worth. If you were closer to me I would tell you to bring it by and I would shorten the stirrups for you. But I am up close to Kansas City. If you cannot find someone to do it you can always ship it to me. Contact me off list if you are interested. Randy

Did you get ripped off? I don't think so, you are into it for 150 and that is about what it's worth.

I don't know anything about saddles, but I do know I've spent much more than that in a night out and came home with less!

Kevin

This is clearly a shopmade saddle(not a mexico) and I would say it probably was made in the 80s.I would say its a 150 dollar saddle as long as the tree is sound and fits a horse. There should be no reason a good saddle maker couldnt shorten the fenders for you.might try another shop

I just purchased this saddle for 150 of of craigslist. Took it to a saddle repair shop and asked for them to shorten the fenders and condition it. He said that he couldnt make the fenders shorter and reccomended that I buy a new saddle from him.....OK. He told me that this was a mexican made saddle and it was crap but said that He would buy it from me for 120.00...HUH? anyway I like the tooling on it. The tree is rawhide covered, and the leather is thick, much thicker than todays saddles. It is pretty heavy but I havent weighed it yet.

The guy I bought it from said that his mom had it custom made in the early .80s by saddle maker in the pacific northwest. I live in Wa state. His mom had the saddle in storage for several years and when she passed away they cleaned out the storage and found this. It was dry but not cracked and the fenders are STIFF but in good condition otherwise. Im new to the picture posting so forgive me if they dont turn out! Does anyone have any info on this saddle or can give me good advice?

Thank you!!

Thank you!!

Hi,

There are a couple of tell tale signs that the saddle is from a production shop probubly south of the border, the finish nails in the front of the seat leather above the concho I have seen used on those saddles a lot. the style of the cantle assembly is used on some from this type of manufacturer. You may find that staples are used in assembly and there are only 1 or 2 screws holding the rigging along with staples. Look at the ground seat strainer, there may be a "kink" in the metal (look under the saddle between the skirts) I have seen them bent so much that they are sure to sore a horses back right on the spine.

Look for nails or screws along the bars. Many times thay are put there to hold the skirts on and seem to work their way out (may sore a back)

The tooling appears to be "pressed" in and hand detailed. This is done many times to give a hand tooled look.

There should be no reason the the stirrup leathers could not be shortend. Try another shop !!

If there are no safety issues (rigging and stirrup leathers) and nothing to sore the horses back, it should be o.k. to use.

Be sure to change the billet and off side billet. There is no way they are safe given the information that the saddle was stored for years. These should be changed at least once a year anyway with normal use and care.

With these saddles (if it is what I think it is, made in mexico in a production shop) the leather may not condition well. If it is soaked to much with oil it will begin to break down and fall apart. Also, if the shirts are "plugged" with cardboard (yes most saddles like this are) the oil will destroy it and fall apart. So be careful how much you condition or oil the leather.

Do I think you got "Ripped off?" I think you were lied to (about the custom make of the saddle) For what it is worth, I think $150.00 could have been added to the price of a better saddle and you would be much happier and SAFER then with this saddle.

This information is just my opinion from your photos. I could be wrong but I hope it gives you some additional knowledge to shop for saddles.

Rick J.

Thanks Guys,

I will look over the saddle very carefully tonight and see what I can see ( staples, cardboard ect ect..) I haven't used it yet so no big deal on that part. I do have a simco saddle that I use now so no worries. I am not without a saddle. The qality of the pics did not turn out very well and I don't know how to keep the detail and get them smaller! Ill just use this as a lesson and move on. Thank god my horses dont lie!! :cowgirl:

Was the $120.00 only if you bought one from him or even if you didnt?

Michael

That saddle fellow is full of hooey if he told you the fenders can't be shortened. I've done it. I make a pattern of the top of the fencer, reduce it by how much the owner requests, I then use the paper pattern to reshape the top of the fender to resemble the original and reattach to the stirrup leather.I suspect your fenders aren't as high as they can go. You might be able to push them up another 3 or 4 inches. Since the stirrup leather wraps around the tree it may not want to budge. I push up on the fender with one hand and pull down on the stirrup leather with the other. Grunt like hell. It helps. Let us know if you can't get them to move. Once your fenders are higher you can adjust the stirrup length.

Edited by Saddlebag

I've now looked at the pics and I think you got yourself a good deal. I've worked on hundreds of saddles and yours is right in the middle for quality. There is nothing to prove the saddle is Mexican made (apparently in a derogatory tone). I suspect that repair person knew he could turn a good dollar on your saddle.