Shorts

Pony for belt handstitching

I've hand stitched a couple of belts and while it is a time consuming process, the biggest hassle I'm having is holding the full length of the belt, supported in the pony. Now, I don't technically have a stitching pony. What I do have is a 4" Craftsman table vice with the jaws double padded with leather. I hold the belt there and stitch that section immediately within the jaws, then shift the belt through once the section is complete. The actual holding of the belt is fine, works great. What I do not like is that each end of the belt outside the jaws just hangs there and droops. The double layer gun belts actually do ok as the leather is stiff enough that I can stack some books on the far end of the table and support it. But the single layer belt is droopy.

I'm thinking of making some jig that I can put the entire belt in, set it in the jaws and stitch the entire length without needing to move the belt (unless its for my comfort). It seems a straight and undrooped belt would make for a belt that stays stronger when its finally stitched. I imagine that a drooping belt would tension and pull, even on a very small scale, the stitches and leather that is already stitched, thus making a stretch in that section.

Has anyone come up with their own jig and preferred way to hand stitch a belt? And thoser of you with stitching machinesare not allowed to come here and gloat! :rofl:

Edited by Shorts

Ohh that's great! I admit I took the easy way out and didn't do a search :blush: But something like that is what I had in mind.

Thanks Crystal!

If you do any woodworking (i.e. can use a router and a drill) you can make one of these yourself at just about any length. Here's a thread I posted on how to... http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4923

If you're not into woodworking, PM me, and I'll gladly make you one.

Kate

Sweet - thanks Kate. I'll be seeing my folks soon and this looks a project that my dad and I would enjoy doing together :)