Jaclynn

Attaching Large Beads To Leather

Hi,

I want to attach large stone beads to leather tack, for example turquoise stone nugget beads, and I'm having difficulty figuring out the beast way to attach them. Does anyone have a way that works well and holds the beads on tightly? I attached a picture of some tack that has the stones attached, I'm thinking they used wire but I'm not sure. If anyone has some advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

- Jaclynn

post-37256-0-04556300-1380737253_thumb.p

Hi Jaclynn. I can see the wire they used so you're right. Then after attaching them in the back they attached a liner to keep the wire from being against the horse. I imagine they did the same with the concho, attached it first then added the liner. I've never done it so I can't tell you the best way but I can see from the picture that's how it was done. Cheryl

It is also possible that kevlar thread or some other man-made stretch-and-fray resistant thread was used?

Hi Jaclynn. I can see the wire they used so you're right. Then after attaching them in the back they attached a liner to keep the wire from being against the horse. I imagine they did the same with the concho, attached it first then added the liner. I've never done it so I can't tell you the best way but I can see from the picture that's how it was done. Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl, I was thinking wire too. Some of the tack I have seen though does't have enough room around the edges to sew a backing on around the beads, so I wasn't sure if maybe there was another way to do it?

It is also possible that kevlar thread or some other man-made stretch-and-fray resistant thread was used?

Thanks WinterBear,

I know I have a wallet that has those beads attached with what looks like fishing line, they ended becoming a little loose though. I don't see why that wouldn't work if I could figure out a way to secure them tightly. My main concern is making sure they won't be easy to break off.

Hi Jaclynn maybe fishing wire would work too and be almost invisible. But I like the silver wire showing a bit. As far as not being able to sew on tack, I sewed patent leather to a 1/2 inch dog collar http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?app=galleryℑ=22168 but I will admit it took three tries :) Cheryl

Ok, have you heard of "tiger tail" or "tigertail wire"? It's a stainless steel cable (usually 3 or 7 strand) covered by a clear nylon coat. It's flexible, fray resistant, and comes in various thicknesses. It won't stretch and is very hard to break. Typical colors are gold and silver cable, but there are also colors available in small amounts. The 7 strand is more flexible, but the 3 strand might suit, even in the thinnest cord (0.012"dia). It's sold at most hobby stores, and online just about anywhere that sells beads. I buy from Fire Mountain, and use it with stone beads, beads with sharp holes (some glass and quartz beads), and to secure beads to wood or gourds. However, if you decide to use it, you'll need crimp beads to secure the ends as cable won't hold a knot.

Edited by WinterBear

Ok, have you heard of "tiger tail" or "tigertail wire"? It's a stainless steel cable (usually 3 or 7 strand) covered by a clear nylon coat. It's flexible, fray resistant, and comes in various thicknesses. It won't stretch and is very hard to break. Typical colors are gold and silver cable, but there are also colors available in small amounts. The 7 strand is more flexible, but the 3 strand might suit, even in the thinnest cord (0.012"dia). It's sold at most hobby stores, and online just about anywhere that sells beads. I buy from Fire Mountain, and use it with stone beads, beads with sharp holes (some glass and quartz beads), and to secure beads to wood or gourds. However, if you decide to use it, you'll need crimp beads to secure the ends as cable won't hold a knot.

Thank you WinterBear for that information! It sounds like that would be a great way to do the kind of stone/bead work I would like to do. I have never heard of tigertail wire, but I'm going to go look into it right now! Thanks again!

Hi Jaclynn maybe fishing wire would work too and be almost invisible. But I like the silver wire showing a bit. As far as not being able to sew on tack, I sewed patent leather to a 1/2 inch dog collar http://leatherworker...eryℑ=22168 but I will admit it took three tries :) Cheryl

Cheryl the dog collar looks great! I can sew close to the edge with my sewing machine, but I need to get a new foot so it won't get caught on the beads. I'll have to take this new info and try to make some tack like this :)

I'd love to see the tack when you finish, really. Cheryl