toasty1435

Wicket And Craig

What are people's opinions of them? I've sent them numerous emails about pricing and samples and I've never heard back. Is this the usual case for WC? What other suppliers do people recommend?

Call 1-800-TANNERY and talk to Matt. W&C is all I use anymore.

I was purchasing several sides a month from W&C. All in all good quality leather. Bridle leather colors not always consistent with the color chart on their website or samples they provide (especially the lighter colors).Leather weight is consistent as advertised. Customer service room for improvement. Their stock availability has been poor lately. At least on the grades I buy. They went into their annual down out of stock on several items. Had to move business to other suppliers as a result. Big hassle.Will check back with them in a few weeks to see if their stock availability has improved.

I have been purchasing more and more of Herman Oak (from Weaver Leather). I'monly an hour away from Weaver so I can visit and hand pick what I need. Although in general their HO inventory looks good (lately) and I find myself taking from the top of the stack. Some leather colors not consistent with the samples HO sends out.

I also purchase from RJF Leather who has been a good supplier.

Edited by kc8290

I was purchasing several sides a month from W&C. All in all good quality leather. Bridle leather colors not always consistent with the color chart on their website or samples they provide (especially the lighter colors).Leather weight is consistent as advertised. Customer service room for improvement. Their stock availability has been poor lately. At least on the grades I buy. They went into their annual down out of stock on several items. Had to move business to other suppliers as a result. Big hassle.Will check back with them in a few weeks to see if their stock availability has improved.

I have been purchasing more and more of Herman Oak (from Weaver Leather). I'monly an hour away from Weaver so I can visit and hand pick what I need. Although in general their HO inventory looks good (lately) and I find myself taking from the top of the stack. Some leather colors not consistent with the samples HO sends out.

I also purchase from RJF Leather who has been a good supplier.

You are very lucky to be only 1 hour away from Weaver..That place is like a big toy store for the leather worker..

I also purchase from RJF Leather who has been a good supplier

I have been buying from W&C for about the last five or six years. Their overall quality and consistency has been about average or maybe a little above. I use the drum dyed skirting sides and generally buy about 24 to 30 sides a year.. Their customer service as it relates to turn around time and inventory available has begun to slide rather dramatically. I place an order with RJF Leather who is a supporter of this site and I believe if his product is as good as I've heard I will continue with him and become an ex W&C customer.

Paul

Edited by sheathmaker

Just checked out RJF Leather. Good looking stuff, but no prices. That is an immediate turnoff for me.

What are people's opinions of them? I've sent them numerous emails about pricing and samples and I've never heard back. Is this the usual case for WC? What other suppliers do people recommend?

I have had no issues with W & C but the items they are short or out of always seems like what I need at that time.

Just checked out RJF Leather. Good looking stuff, but no prices. That is an immediate turnoff for me.

RJF is top notch, The website is very basic. Roger answers the phone and has no trouble giving you a price on what you need.

The leather is consistently the same colors, quality, and texture/feel

It is worth the call to Roger to try his product, I am glad I did.

I've still had no luck hearing from WC and have moved on to Springfield. After sending in my request I got an immediate detailed response back. +1 for customer service. Lack of communication is my biggest turn off from using a supplier. I hear good things about Springfield so I'll see what they can do for me.

Had to throw one more recommendation for RJF. Great quality and consistency!

I really hate W&C's phone answering system. If I call up to order leather, I could give a rat's a** who takes the order. I just want to order some leather. They can all accomplish that simple task. But, they must be on commission, so you are forced to pick someone. If the person you pick isn't there or isn't available at the time, YOU MUST START ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!!!!! To make matters worse, THERE IS NO OTHER OPTION!!!

That's the kind of customer service ignorance and arrogance that seems to be endemic in modern business culture.

If you're looking for customer service you can't beat Springfield Leather Company hands down. They'll answer and questions you have and talk to you for an hour if need be to make sure you're getting what you want. All their prices are on the website. Cheryl

I'm still waiting for 4 sides from WC (my first order with them) - since June! Is a 3-4 month or longer wait time typical for these guys? Doubt I'll be going back.

There is no excuse for that kind of wait time! Go to another supplier! Quickly! There are plenty of other places to buy leather.

RJF

Springfield

even Tandy's

Move on, stop waiting for product and start producing what you want to make!

Just my .02

I order from W&C quite a bit and never have had any trouble getting my order. I would call and ask about your order.

I agree with dirtclod. Call em up and ask what's going on. I've had a couple of orders take over a month but they told me up front there would be a wait on those. Usually get an order within a couple of weeks.

Dan

I can't say I remember problems with any of my orders. I prefer US tanned leather when I can get it, and the only large veg tanners left are HO and W&C.

Art

I called today early in the AM to order 4 sides of leather and 3 bellies. Had to leave a message.

No return call.

Maybe tomorrow huh :rolleyes:

I ordered from Springfield and got my order in 3 days...........and I am in Texas

i placed an order with W&C on the 4th of October, and was told it would take 10 days to get to the splitter, then i would get a call from them....it is now 20 days later, and when i did call, the lady that took my order acted as if I was bothering her by trying to figure out where my order was...im gonna call once more today, and if i get the same answer i did last time, which was "they will call you when its ready", im gonna have to cancel...

I have been dealing with W&C for about 3 years or so. Had a few glitches and ordered from SLC, what I received was not the same quality I receive from W&C. Ordered a double shoulder of #1 import and single shoulder of HO, both were well below that I receive from W&C, over 30 cuts on the finish side of the #1 import and the HO fuzzed like a cotton ball in the dryer. Considering I paid more per sq. foot for SLC leather it was a waste of money and I ended up using it for prototypes and other scrap projects.

Takes about 2 weeks to get my orders split and shipped from W&C and just received an order of 2 natural tooling backs. Very happy with the quality, especially for a "special hide". Every one here seems to have their favorite supplier and SLC does have great customer service, I guess I just a got bad order. I don't call anyone and complain, I just learn a lesson and move on.

Just my opinion.

For all of you in the Western US there is a mass supplier out of Napa Valley as well who move HO among other veg-tanned sides and shoulders. They are the Hide House and have a history in that area as long as the area itself. Go to their website, check them out and see what they have that fits your bill. Their pricing is in line with everyone else, if not lower and they cover everywhere. They also have wholesale pricing for those who are registered businesses, just send them a minimal amount of info (the same as what SLC requires) and you are done.

Although I am in Nevada, Napa is about 3 - 4 hours away from me so I can call ahead, have them set stuff aside, and show up at the door to check it and pick it up. Makes a nice day trip for me so I can spend some time in the valley. No issues yet with their quality or CS.