Sign in to follow this  
mlapaglia

What To Do With 1/2 Lb Artificial Sinew

When I started the person at Tandy told me I needed Artificial Sinew. "It's the only thing the Pro's use for leather work". So being new and trusting I bought a 1/2 lb spool. When I made my first holster I was informed that it would look better if I used thread instead of sinew. I now agree.

I do not plan to do any period work. Just belts, wallets, holsters, etc. Any Idea what I should do with this 1/2 lb spool?

Thanks

Michael

Whip rope ends, use lengths of it to temporarily be threaded through holes to align parts while sewing or repairing, bulk up the center of the cores for knots (just wrap and glue the layers down, cover with a bit of leather if desired, then go over the shaped center with the braided lace of the finished knot), or from less traditional uses, weave dream-catchers, weave netting and beads on a gourd, or twist several lengths into heavier cord and hang leather Christmas ornaments from it. You can also split it down very fine and use it to make nearly invisible stitches in very thin molded veg-tan (1 oz), especially in creases where a thread might be prone to bulking up a seam too much or where it might be prone to snagging-- I use split sinew to sew parts of wallet guts where I don't want any bulk (pocket seams between layers of leather) or to hold bits of inlay in place to the backing leather if glue might ooze through.

I agree with WinterBear; this is very versatile stuff - I have it in many differant colors. The fact that it can be split down, or combined to make exactly the size you desire is a big plus in my book. I have also split it down and then twisted it up with several Kevlar threads to make a "bulletproof" thread when I wanted a thread of exceptional strength - the natural artiificial sinew and the yellow Kevlar blend together well.

Whip rope ends, use lengths of it to temporarily be threaded through holes to align parts while sewing or repairing, bulk up the center of the cores for knots (just wrap and glue the layers down, cover with a bit of leather if desired, then go over the shaped center with the braided lace of the finished knot), or from less traditional uses, weave dream-catchers, weave netting and beads on a gourd, or twist several lengths into heavier cord and hang leather Christmas ornaments from it. You can also split it down very fine and use it to make nearly invisible stitches in very thin molded veg-tan (1 oz), especially in creases where a thread might be prone to bulking up a seam too much or where it might be prone to snagging-- I use split sinew to sew parts of wallet guts where I don't want any bulk (pocket seams between layers of leather) or to hold bits of inlay in place to the backing leather if glue might ooze through.

I agree with WinterBear; this is very versatile stuff - I have it in many differant colors. The fact that it can be split down, or combined to make exactly the size you desire is a big plus in my book. I have also split it down and then twisted it up with several Kevlar threads to make a "bulletproof" thread when I wanted a thread of exceptional strength - the natural artiificial sinew and the yellow Kevlar blend together well.

Thank you Gentlemen. At least I now know that Its not worthless and does have some uses.

Michael