Sign in to follow this  
tireytv

My First Post & Introduction

Hello All,

Jeff Tirey here out of Ohio. I have been lurking around here for about a six months and I have to say this is a very polite and and friendly community.

I discovered the craft and art of leatherworking only this past summer and I for me, I see so many advantages in this craft over woodworking which I have done off and on for 20 years. For one thing, while a head knife is sharp and must be used correctly, leatherworking presents fewer physical risks to my digits and eyes compared to woodworking. I'm a very safe person and have never been hurt operating tables saws, planers and jointers. These machines require a lot of focus to be safe. Even so, we have all had a board kickback here and there or we take a riskier cut from time to time when we don't have a helper around to help support an odd size board or project.

Furthermore, leatherworking is also relatively quite so long as I'm not stamping. It takes less space too. So I'm cycling out of woodworking and into leatherworking since it fits so well for late night/weekend enthusiasts like myself.

My initial goal is to make a few really nice holsters. I'm doing the Karate-Kid method of learning right now. (Remember wax-on-wax-off) In other words, I'm spending my time learning micro-components of leather craft on extremely small projects and scrap leather so that I can figure out how to do things like stitch, dye, edge, stamp, swivel knife skills, etc. Along the way I have discovered the Sheridan Style of carving and for me I think it's insanely beautiful. So that is a goal too but I can't say how far off it is because I find it still very difficult to do the most basic swivel knife cuts with elegance - but I know it's all practice.

I'll begin asking some questions here so that I can learn and when I'm ready I'll start posting photos of my own beautiful disasters so that I can get constructive criticism.

thank you.

Jeff

Hello Jeff;;

glad you spoke up with your first post;;you will find there to be a ton of info,,and 8800 people here world wide ,,and a bunch are about in the same place as you are in their quest for skill's in leather working..ask questions,,read posts,read all the books you can find,,,show us your work as you learn,, we will be glad to veiw it and give advice...(keep fingers out of saws)

,,,Doc,,

Hello Jeff;;

glad you spoke up with your first post;;you will find there to be a ton of info,,and 8800 people here world wide ,,and a bunch are about in the same place as you are in their quest for skill's in leather working..ask questions,,read posts,read all the books you can find,,,show us your work as you learn,, we will be glad to veiw it and give advice...(keep fingers out of saws)

,,,Doc,,

Hi Doc,

Thank you for the welcome reply and I'm glad I joined the discussions here.

jeff

Jeff

glad you piped up and found us please ask any questions you have.

Josh

Jeff

glad you piped up and found us please ask any questions you have.

Josh

Thank you jbird and nice to meet you.

Jeff

Jeff, welcome to LW.net. As you mention, leatherwork is a great hobby. You can produce some fine work with only hand tools, and eventually step up to sewing machines, clickers and other time-saving equipment when you really get into it. Best of all, there's very little risk other than maybe pricking your finger with an awl. smile.gif

Enjoy your foray into leatherwork, and post some images of your projects when they're finished.

Best, -Alex

Jeff, welcome to LW.net. As you mention, leatherwork is a great hobby. You can produce some fine work with only hand tools, and eventually step up to sewing machines, clickers and other time-saving equipment when you really get into it. Best of all, there's very little risk other than maybe pricking your finger with an awl. smile.gif

Enjoy your foray into leatherwork, and post some images of your projects when they're finished.

Best, -Alex

wow you Mods are awesome here - thanks for the triple Ambassador welcome here Alex and I'll get started with my questions and photos. What is the best board to ask very general beginner level questions?

Jeff

Welcome to the forum.

great to have you here! \\post a picture of a project or one in progress- we'd love to see you progress!!!

NO questions are stupid!!!!!

pete

Thanks Pete. I'll get some rolling this weekend.

King's X - I'm sure you have heard this before but your image of the Notre Dame bag is just awesome.

What is the best board to ask very general beginner level questions?

Jeff, lots of generic questions end up in the Leatherwork Conversation or How Do I Do That? forums. Some of the more specific questions might be best posted in their respective forums, like questions about dyeing a project might attract more views in the Dyes, Antiques and Stains forum.

It's hard to go wrong here... Just post away and someone will help out! wave.gif