Sign in to follow this  
rcsaddles

Intro from Montana

Hi all.

I have been using this forum for almost a year now and figure it is time to introduce myself. Sorry, no pictures today but when I figure out how to get them posted, I will.

I attended saddle building school in Belgrade, MT, the Montana Horseman Saddle Building School. Since then I have made seven saddles, five of which were mule saddles. I have a full time job that gets in the way of the leatherwork but in this area, we have two saddle builders and they are not very busy.

I was blessed with the way everything worked out to go to school, found all the equipment I needed and have done well with the work I get. I named my business Rugged Cross Saddlery because of the way God blessed me.

I actually started braiding when I was in Australia in 1988. In 1993 I met Mary Fields, from the Bruce Grant books, while living in Oregon and she taught me to make and braid rawhide. I think I actually prefer braiding but very much enjoy all aspects of leatherwork. Last January I was able to take a week and travel to Kansas to have Bill Gomer teach me about leather carving. I have been doing a little carving mut not like I want to.

My family consists of my wife of 18 years, and two boys, 10 and 6. We live in Lewistown, Montana having moved here about three years ago. Not positive if this is our final destination or if the Lord is going to move us again. We built a house a couple of years ago and have about seven acres. No animals at this time but hopefully one day.

I believe I have rambled on enough and will work on figuring out how to post the pictures.

God Bless,

Joe Boyles

Rugged Cross Saddlery

Welcome, Joe!!

Hello,

I just went through Dales school in Belgrade. Am working on saddle number two now.

I worked on some ranches up in your country for awile and ride a saddle that Wes Schenk down in Harlowton built for me. Who else is building saddles around there besides you and him. Interested to see some pics of your saddles.

Jake

Hey Joe,

I went to Dale's school also. Last winter after I got home from Iraq, had a good time there. Ol' Dale is a good guy.

Justin Hawks

Roger Hollowell who owns Big Dry Saddlery and Rod Bailey. Bailey works out of his shop at home and Roger has a shop at Main and 1st.

I was living in Bozeman when I took Dale's class. Only 15 miles away so I was able to drive to class. Helped out since the boys were 6 and 2.

Jake, where do you live in Nebraska? I was raised at Mason City. My folks still ranch there. Been about a year since I have been there and probably won't make it for another year.

Justin, we might have to try to get together sometime. I go to Roundup three times a month for work and end up in Billings sometimes for a week at a time. PM me and maybe we can set up a meeting.

My cosin, Dave Robinson lives in Lewiston, Mt. I was up there 2 years ago my son and I stopped in a saddle shop in town, cannot remember the street. Could that have possibly been you?

Randy

Hi all.

I have been using this forum for almost a year now and figure it is time to introduce myself. Sorry, no pictures today but when I figure out how to get them posted, I will.

I attended saddle building school in Belgrade, MT, the Montana Horseman Saddle Building School. Since then I have made seven saddles, five of which were mule saddles. I have a full time job that gets in the way of the leatherwork but in this area, we have two saddle builders and they are not very busy.

I was blessed with the way everything worked out to go to school, found all the equipment I needed and have done well with the work I get. I named my business Rugged Cross Saddlery because of the way God blessed me.

I actually started braiding when I was in Australia in 1988. In 1993 I met Mary Fields, from the Bruce Grant books, while living in Oregon and she taught me to make and braid rawhide. I think I actually prefer braiding but very much enjoy all aspects of leatherwork. Last January I was able to take a week and travel to Kansas to have Bill Gomer teach me about leather carving. I have been doing a little carving mut not like I want to.

My family consists of my wife of 18 years, and two boys, 10 and 6. We live in Lewistown, Montana having moved here about three years ago. Not positive if this is our final destination or if the Lord is going to move us again. We built a house a couple of years ago and have about seven acres. No animals at this time but hopefully one day.

I believe I have rambled on enough and will work on figuring out how to post the pictures.

God Bless,

Joe Boyles

Rugged Cross Saddlery

There are a few saddle makers in the Flathead valley around Kalispell as well. Earl Twist has been making saddles around here for probably 30 sum odd years.

Hey Randy,

The only sadle shop in Lewistown now and then, is Roger Hollowell at Big Dry Saddlery. He and I send work back and forth to each other. He doesn't do any tarp or canvas and I send him stuff I don't have time to do because of a "paying" job that gets in the way of leatherwork.

There are many saddle makers in Montana. I have a friend that is always looking for the "perfect saddle" so he picks up brochures and such from makers and brings them to me asking about each. We sit down and talk about the pros and cons of the saddles they show and they way they make them. He challenges me with ideas and really makes me think. This guy has the first saddle I made and loves it. He rides mules and hunts places like the Scape Goat Wilderness and the Bob Marshall Wilderness. These places will test your stamina and well as your animals and equipment. I'm looking forward to my next trip into the "Bob".

Joe