srminimo

Highlead Gc22618-1B?

Dear friends

I'm in the process of researching for a medium weight cylinder arm machine and I ran into a brand new Highlead GC22618-1B at a decent price (better price than a new a Techsew 2700 and I save on the shipping).

Does anybody on the forum has experience with this machine?

What kind of thread/ weight leather can it handle?

How is the quality of the machine?

Their website says this is a similar machine to a Pfaff 335, and it comes with a #22 needle standard, but the guy on the phone could not tell me what kind of thread I could use.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

Edited by srminimo

It is similar to a 335, but it a really a dead ringer for the Singer 153B (the one made in Japan). Great machine, will do 207 thread with a 24 needle, but it likes 138 better. If geared down, it will handle over 3/8 inch of leather but is happier with 1/4" all day long. Like I said, needs to be geared down for leatherwork, a SewPro gear reduction motor would work great on it. Highlead is a respected company and makes top quality product. I don't know if you can find an old 153B, it would be cheaper and if in good condition would do the same job (a lot of the parts are interchangeable).

Art

Dear friends

I'm in the process of researching for a medium weight cylinder arm machine and I ran into a brand new Highlead GC22618-1B at a decent price (better price than a new a Techsew 2700 and I save on the shipping).

Does anybody on the forum has experience with this machine?

What kind of thread/ weight leather can it handle?

How is the quality of the machine?

Their website says this is a similar machine to a Pfaff 335, and it comes with a #22 needle standard, but the guy on the phone could not tell me what kind of thread I could use.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

It is similar to a 335, but it a really a dead ringer for the Singer 153B (the one made in Japan). Great machine, will do 207 thread with a 24 needle, but it likes 138 better. If geared down, it will handle over 3/8 inch of leather but is happier with 1/4" all day long. Like I said, needs to be geared down for leatherwork, a SewPro gear reduction motor would work great on it. Highlead is a respected company and makes top quality product. I don't know if you can find an old 153B, it would be cheaper and if in good condition would do the same job (a lot of the parts are interchangeable).

Art

Thank you very much Art. The machine comes with a Servo motor, and I will mostly do #69 and #138 thread, but wanted the flexibility of thicker thread for some simple pieces. So it seems similar to what I was looking at (Cowboy and Techsew), closer to home, a little cheaper, and I can have it in a day or 2!

I have really looked high and low for machines and I have actually seen a new Singer 153B8 for about the same price, but never a used one.

I HAVE seen a Singer 153W for a pretty good price with servo and stand, no reverse (which really is not a major drawback for me), but the gentleman sort of hinted that the machine was kind of difficult compared to the other ones and said if I was looking for something I wanted to have for a long time to go for the other ones (Cowboy and Techsew).

Thanks again!

The Sieko LCW8B is also pretty much the same machine. I have 4 Highlead machines and not a problem with any of them. I don't know what type of work you do, but the gear reduction (and torque multiplication) you get from a speed reducer or gear reduction motor is a distinct advantage with leather. Get them to swap out the servo motor for a gear reduction motor, if you have to pay and extra $50, it will be worth it.

Art

Thank you very much Art. The machine comes with a Servo motor, and I will mostly do #69 and #138 thread, but wanted the flexibility of thicker thread for some simple pieces. So it seems similar to what I was looking at (Cowboy and Techsew), closer to home, a little cheaper, and I can have it in a day or 2!

I have really looked high and low for machines and I have actually seen a new Singer 153B8 for about the same price, but never a used one.

I HAVE seen a Singer 153W for a pretty good price with servo and stand, no reverse (which really is not a major drawback for me), but the gentleman sort of hinted that the machine was kind of difficult compared to the other ones and said if I was looking for something I wanted to have for a long time to go for the other ones (Cowboy and Techsew).

Thanks again!

The Sieko LCW8B is also pretty much the same machine. I have 4 Highlead machines and not a problem with any of them. I don't know what type of work you do, but the gear reduction (and torque multiplication) you get from a speed reducer or gear reduction motor is a distinct advantage with leather. Get them to swap out the servo motor for a gear reduction motor, if you have to pay and extra $50, it will be worth it.

Art

Thank you again Art. I think I have finally found my sewing machine:) I will definitely ask for a gear reduction motor. I mostly do briefcases, bike bags satchels, that kind of thing, but I have felt the difference with the gear reduction motor when doing piping work in the past.

Again thank you Art. I'll share some work on the machine when it's finally in my hands.

cheers

sr.m

Another good thing about these particular machines is that they use Singer 111 feet. There are a whole lot of different feet made for these machines, piping feet, piping or welting feet with cutaway back corners for going around corners; a lot of different feet for different applications and they are not really expensive either. This site has many.

Art

Thank you again Art. I think I have finally found my sewing machine:) I will definitely ask for a gear reduction motor. I mostly do briefcases, bike bags satchels, that kind of thing, but I have felt the difference with the gear reduction motor when doing piping work in the past.

Again thank you Art. I'll share some work on the machine when it's finally in my hands.

cheers

sr.m

Another good thing about these particular machines is that they use Singer 111 feet. There are a whole lot of different feet made for these machines, piping feet, piping or welting feet with cutaway back corners for going around corners; a lot of different feet for different applications and they are not really expensive either. This site has many.

Art

Oh. man, what a great site. Thanks again!

I understand the Highlead GC22618-1B model has been replaced by Highlead GC2268 model.

Both are similar but the newer GC2268 does not feature dial adjustment for the walking foot. The walking foot is adjusted manually on the back of the machine; which may be considered more robust on some heavy work.