rccolt45

Help Me Build This Holster

Hi guys,

I am building a sumer special style IWB for a 1911. Instead of on board straps I want to use a kydex clip that I intend to make. Problem is I have no idea how to attach it so it works and looks good. Any advice would be greatly apperciated. Any pictures to show me how to do it would make me your BFF.

Edited by rccolt45

OK, this holster was a prototype that I made to try to work out an IWB for a Ruger LCP. This is also not a very good picture. I made the kydex clip so that it curves approx. in half, then had the bottom of the outside come up about 1/2 inch so that it would catch the bottom of a belt.

IWB Holster3b.jpg

post-4766-127139069288_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure if this can help you much, but I made this one for someone who wanted to attach his own Kydex clips, and all he was going to do was drill holes at the"just right" place on the wings, and screw the clips on.

He wanted to continue to wear his current holster with the clips on them, and when I handed him his new one, he just swapped them over .

This is an IWB

I'm not sure if this can help you much, but I made this one for someone who wanted to attach his own Kydex clips, and all he was going to do was drill holes at the"just right" place on the wings, and screw the clips on.

He wanted to continue to wear his current holster with the clips on them, and when I handed him his new one, he just swapped them over .

This is an IWB

1911 holster 002.jpg

1911 holster 001.jpg

post-4803-127142000417_thumb.jpg

post-4803-127142001584_thumb.jpg

Hi guys they both help alot.

Texas - here is my question for you. I want to do somthing similiar which is what I came up with first but once you sew your clip leather to the body of the holster how do you secure the clip in the pocket you just sewed. You can't screw it in because you can't get behind it. If you atach you clip to your leather then sew it all together the clip is in the way when you try to finish the holster. So how did you do it?

Looks like maybe you cut a trap door and then sewed it closed after you screwed it in??

thanks guys.

Edited by rccolt45

The clip is attached to the outside piece of leather, which is then sewn to the side of the holster.

Here is a Don Hume holster pic I found on the web. It's the same method TexasJack uses, though they don't use a screw to hold the clip in place. For what it's worth, I have carried a Kahr P9 in a Don Hume IWB clip-on just like that for close to a year and have never had a problem with the attachment method (or the metal clip, for that matter).

That being said, Don Hume's metal clip has teeth formed into the clip that helps it bite into the leather to help prevent it from pulling out. I'm not sure how necessary the teeth are, as the pre-cut hole in the outer piece of leather seems to do a great job retaining the clip, and most of the aftermarket clips don't have the teeth.

DSCN1247.jpg?o=1DSCN1247.jpg

Here is a Don Hume holster pic I found on the web. It's the same method TexasJack uses, though they don't use a screw to hold the clip in place. For what it's worth, I have carried a Kahr P9 in a Don Hume IWB clip-on just like that for close to a year and have never had a problem with the attachment method (or the metal clip, for that matter).

That being said, Don Hume's metal clip has teeth formed into the clip that helps it bite into the leather to help prevent it from pulling out. I'm not sure how necessary the teeth are, as the pre-cut hole in the outer piece of leather seems to do a great job retaining the clip, and most of the aftermarket clips don't have the teeth.

DSCN1247.jpg?o=1DSCN1247.jpg

What I timely thread, I love the Avenger style holster (your inspiration) I made for myself, but I've been thinking of making a clip-on type , so that I don't have to un-do my belt when I go into a place where CC is not allowed.