sangmort

Snaps For 10-12Oz Leather?

I feel like I'm losing my mind :(

Every time I try to set line 24 snaps in my 10-12oz leather, I'm not getting a good curl and the snaps don't set properly. I think because the "post" is not long enough.

Am I missing something? Do I need to skive the leather down?

I know I've seen other makers set snaps in 10-12oz leather so I feel like I'm not doing something right.

[ I'm using this setter: https://www.webdealings.net/~handtools-uk.com//uploads/Size%2024%20Snap%20Set%20kit.JPG ]

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated!!!! ~

If you have a Hobby Lobby near by, . . . go there, . . . and ask where the "sewing" things are. When you get there, . . . you are looking for the wall with the scissors, needles, thimbles, etc. and you will find two tools there, . . . both with blue handles, . . . and they are snap setting tools.

One is basically for line 24 size and the other one will do it all, . . . they look like funny shaped pliers.

Either tool is about 25 bucks, . . . I have ruined maybe 6 snaps with that tool, . . . in about 8 years of using it.

One tool is their sku: 304733 and they call it their gripper plier kit, . . . it is the "do em all" tool, . . . and looks almost identical to the other one. I usually find them hanging together or very close proximity of each other.

You may have to skive the back of the leather, . . . I've done that before, . . . but this tool is so much better than any other tool I've seen or used. It really works.

May God bless,

Dwight

Get a good quality fastener like DOT.

They have different length posts for different thickness in leather.

for thick leatheryou will need a long post and possibly may need to skive the leather down where the snap will be placed.

If you have a Hobby Lobby near by, . . . go there, . . . and ask where the "sewing" things are. When you get there, . . . you are looking for the wall with the scissors, needles, thimbles, etc. and you will find two tools there, . . . both with blue handles, . . . and they are snap setting tools.

One is basically for line 24 size and the other one will do it all, . . . they look like funny shaped pliers.

Either tool is about 25 bucks, . . . I have ruined maybe 6 snaps with that tool, . . . in about 8 years of using it.

One tool is their sku: 304733 and they call it their gripper plier kit, . . . it is the "do em all" tool, . . . and looks almost identical to the other one. I usually find them hanging together or very close proximity of each other.

You may have to skive the back of the leather, . . . I've done that before, . . . but this tool is so much better than any other tool I've seen or used. It really works.

May God bless,

Dwight

Dwight, Thanks!!! I'll be sure to check it out! I think we have a hobby lobby that opened up about an hour away or so, I will give it a shot. It'll be worth the drive to get rid of this frustration!

Get a good quality fastener like DOT.

They have different length posts for different thickness in leather.

Thank you! Do you know how far abouts the post should stick out past the leather? :)

for thick leatheryou will need a long post and possibly may need to skive the leather down where the snap will be placed.

Thanks! I am horrible at skiving, especially with the super skiver :( I guess it's something I'm going to have to practice huh?

ya sometimes skiving is necessary

you will probably be better off using a skiving knife or a round knife if you have one.

the post should protrude at least 1/64" with the snap in place to get a good lip around the snap

1/32 or more would be better but 1/64 will work fine.

the leather will compress some when you hit it with the setter.

Shoot for 1/32.

Rotate the punch off center once you initially set it.

You can buy a forstner bit and drill the leather also.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/forsbit.htm?zoom_highlight=forstner+bit

Have you had any success. I am going crazy looking for snaps. I have now been to Ohio travel bag, Springfield, scoval and a host of others but cant find a 5/16 Barrel line 24 snap anywhere. The longest barrel I have seen for a cap is 18/64ths. If anyone can please help. I have been through 10 pages of the forum and have no joke been looking all over the internet since before noon. About 3 hours :(

I'm losing my mind. Tandy snaps are the worst and I am looking to upgrade.

Please please help

Alex

If you want to get better snaps,find a marine textile supply house near you, You will have to buy the individual snap parts in boxes of 100.

I found the size you are looking for at Dot Fasteners.

http://dotfasteners.thomasnet.com/item/durable-8482--2/durable-8482-caps/item-1013?

If using skirting sometimes I'll get it wet. I then use my vise or a set of vise grips to set the snap down into the leather. It works good and really sets the snap into the leather.

Mike

You only need to bevel around the hole. Stohlman suggestsusing a French edger, hiking one "horn" info The punched hole and running it round.

You guys ROCK!!!

Thank you thank you THANK YOU! :D ~

Be careful with that plier setter from Hobby Lobby. They are no longer made as well as they used to be. I actually bent the handles on 2 of them in short order.

I then went to West Marine and bought one that was sturdier, as most marine snaps are stainless. I bent the handles on it too. I returned it and the guy said they get lots of returns on them.

You are applying a lot of force to roll that post and the pliers are made with cheap, stamped metal.

Be careful with that plier setter from Hobby Lobby. They are no longer made as well as they used to be. I actually bent the handles on 2 of them in short order.

I then went to West Marine and bought one that was sturdier, as most marine snaps are stainless. I bent the handles on it too. I returned it and the guy said they get lots of returns on them.

You are applying a lot of force to roll that post and the pliers are made with cheap, stamped metal.

Thanks for the heads up! Maybe I'll save for the press n snap instead. I think those are around $100? ~

unless you are making production runs by the hundreds I would just stay with the hammer setter; Osborne makes a really good one that sets a good flange and has a longer stem opposed to the short stemmed ones from tandy https://www.osborneleathertools.com/category.php?cid=37

Lord and Hodge has good snap seters and quality snaps.;

IMO those pliers setters are pretty much garbage not worth spending the money you cannot use too much leverage withouth them bendingon.Jat least that is my experience with the ones I bought, other folks opinion might differ from mine

you can also use a drill press and chuck up the hammer setter and press them that way too.

My little drill press is good at multi tasking for stuff like that

also fantastic for punching and pricking lace holes

I actually do have the Osborne version :) I think my main problem is the snaps! I don't think the post is sticking up past the leather enough!

I tried "compressing" the leather with a hammer, and managed to set one, but it was a ROYAL pain!!! ~

If you want to get better snaps,find a marine textile supply house near you, You will have to buy the individual snap parts in boxes of 100.

I found the size you are looking for at Dot Fasteners.

http://dotfasteners....caps/item-1013?

Thank you thank you than you !!

Now one more question for the group. I am always trying to save a few bucks where I can considering .. Im broke. I was thinking of just getting the long barrel caps from the link above and if need be take them down with a file if I need to use it on say 6/7 oz. I know it would be an inconvenience but would it work

yes you can cut back the posts. you can cut them down with a dremmel tool with a cut off disk attachment. pretty fast.