Sign in to follow this  
Eaglestroker

A Few Stocking Stuffers...

I finished these up yesterday and have a few more to go for friends and family members before the week is out, but I'm really pleased with the end result on a few new ideas I tried.

I wish the entire leatherworker family a very Merry Christmas from my family to yours! It was this time last year I tackled my first project, oh how time flies.

DSC_0007-5.jpg

DSC_0948.jpg

DSC_0964.jpg

DSC_0968.jpg

DSC_0978.jpg

And a step back in time:

DSC_0323.jpg

post-19170-049299600 1324393260_thumb.jp

post-19170-041977800 1324393267_thumb.jp

post-19170-015874900 1324393274_thumb.jp

post-19170-085382500 1324393279_thumb.jp

post-19170-007723100 1324393285_thumb.jp

post-19170-035013500 1324393288_thumb.jp

Very nice, I think they are all great!

Kevin

Looks really good!

Question, I dont know much about slings, but in the Marlin 336 and the Marlin 39 sling, just below the wide pad there is the strap that comes out of the pad and forms a small "loop" that seems to be snapped/riveted to the main strap. What is the purpose or maybe, why is it like that?

Question, I dont know much about slings, but in the Marlin 336 and the Marlin 39 sling, just below the wide pad there is the strap that comes out of the pad and forms a small "loop" that seems to be snapped/riveted to the main strap. What is the purpose or maybe, why is it like that?

Matt,

I'm sure there are a million different opinions on the matter. I've had a hard time researching sling design in general. You really have to learn and test as you go. I'll preface by saying I by no means consider myself an authority on the subject, many here much more knowledgeable. There are only a few different ways of doing this, you could skive it down and sandwich the lower strap in between two upper pad layers. You could also attempt to cut on solid piece I suppose but that would approach 70-80" cut. I cut about a dozen pads and 18 straps at once, the straps are cut at around 44" and I cut the thumb strap portion out of each piece so that the color matching is a little easier. On the simple slings the extra length is nice added with a conway buckle for simple adjustments. My earlier versions used 7-8oz leather but the thickness wouldn't allow me to really tighten even the smallest chicago screws I could find so I moved up to 8-10oz and much happier with the over all stability of the rigs.

The appeal to mounting as is, for me, is the fact that the system is 'modular.' Not just a tacti-cool term for me, if a piece gets damaged I can send out a strap, pad, etc without having to replace the entire piece. Haven't had to but given enough time something will happen to someone. I use chicago screws but you could rivet them. If you cut any less slots for the strap to connect to the pad it would lose some of it's stability IMO, tending to shift around more than in it's current configuration. I can say that as is the platform is fairly rock solid. That 1895 in 45-70 gets lugged around on one of these slings and held up surprisingly well. I also love the thumb strap feature, it is exactly where I would grab the sling when walking around and very comfortable.

To a purist these would be simply straps, a sling is used for stabilization during shooting.

Hope this helps!

-Robert

/snip - the thumb strap feature -Robert

In short, that loop is for your thumb.

Kevin

Edited by Phatdaddy

Robert and Kevin -

Thanks for the answers, that helps explain it.

Robert I really like those slings, they look really good.

...and duh....its an 1895... I was in too much of a hurry.... silly me