Sign in to follow this  
dreamlandsetters

How To Make A Beaded, Braided Dog Show Lead

Hi everyone,

I want to learn how to make a beaded, braided dog show lead without the ring or snap. I have owned and shown my English Setters for 16 years. I have bought several beaded, braided dog show leads and would like to make my own. I have no experience with leather and would love to learn.

Can anyone help me get started?

Thanks!

Tammie Calvert

well its not real hard...the braiding is usually a simple 4 strand...i recommend you use kangaroo. how you proceed with the braiding will depend on with or without a core. this will also affect the size beads you will need. if no core you can simply make the loops the size you want for the collar end and the hand loop, then you do a splice and braid those ends back into the braid. i used harness thread for my cores and all loops were tied before the leash was braided.

if you look back thru the posts you will find a link to a good tutorial on braiding a leash.

well its not real hard...the braiding is usually a simple 4 strand...i recommend you use kangaroo. how you proceed with the braiding will depend on with or without a core. this will also affect the size beads you will need. if no core you can simply make the loops the size you want for the collar end and the hand loop, then you do a splice and braid those ends back into the braid. i used harness thread for my cores and all loops were tied before the leash was braided.

if you look back thru the posts you will find a link to a good tutorial on braiding a leash.

I'm confused on how you start the braid without a snap or ring.... I will not be using a core.

Thanks

Tammie

I would tie the 4 strands together with some string, leaving enough to back braid later. Braid down and do your back braid at the other end. Then come back to your starting end, untie the string, and back braid the starting end for your handle.

just like nod 4 eight said....tie the strings, leave around 2-4 inches for the backbraiding and then just braid like normal. alternative is to tie strings in middle, braid down one way and then turn it around and braid down other. i suggest you get a book on braiding....the backbraiding is not all that easy to get a good clean finish on and is really important for the strength of the leash. especially with no core...plus ive seen some really ugly finishing jobs done by some of the socalled pro leash braiders, and seen poorly braided leashes just pop right apart the first time they were pulled on.

I would tie the 4 strands together with some string, leaving enough to back braid later. Braid down and do your back braid at the other end. Then come back to your starting end, untie the string, and back braid the starting end for your handle.

Thanks! That was really helpful...

Tammie

just like nod 4 eight said....tie the strings, leave around 2-4 inches for the backbraiding and then just braid like normal. alternative is to tie strings in middle, braid down one way and then turn it around and braid down other. i suggest you get a book on braiding....the backbraiding is not all that easy to get a good clean finish on and is really important for the strength of the leash. especially with no core...plus ive seen some really ugly finishing jobs done by some of the socalled pro leash braiders, and seen poorly braided leashes just pop right apart the first time they were pulled on.

I have two book on braiding, Braiding Fine Leather by David W. Morgan and Leather Braiding by Bruce Grant. Both books should be very helpful. I ordered my Kangaroo lace from Springfield...even got a few beads...

What mm of beads do you suggest for an 1/8" Kangaroo lace? The ones I ordered are 4 mm.

Thanks for your help...I can't wait to make my first show lead!

Tammie

we sold our leashes wholesale and only did a couple of beaded leads by special order...can not remember what size i used, i think i measured the size of the avg braid and then just looked online. just remember that leads without a core will stretch a bit...ive never used store bought lace so i cant tell you how much...