eatbeef88

Transferring Patterns To Leather

Would anyone have any advice on a good way to transfer a pattern onto leather? I have been drawing the pattern out on regular paper, transfer it onto tracing paper, then using a stylus to go over the tracing paper onto the leather. The problem I am having is that the tracing paper tends to tear and wad up when I go over the lines with my stylus and as it gets wet from the leather under it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Trace the pattern with a pensil on poster board, then transfer it with tandy scratch awl! It's the method I've learned reading a few tutorials here in this forum!

Hope it helps

don't use tracing paper, get draftsmans tracing film any good stationers should stock it, it is much thicker and heavier than tracing paper

I print designs out onto velum that holds up well on damp leather. It does tend to curl if the leather is too wet so I normally wait until it is almost dry. Doesn't take much pressure to get a good line. I print my art out at like 30-50% opacity so they're just light gray lines. This way I can see which ones I've traced already.

Oh duh. You're talking about tooling. I should read more closely. I'm sorry about that.

if you are printing patterns

Hobby Lobby has clear acrylic that can be printed on with ink jet