Sign in to follow this  
Clyde

MONKEY GRIP HANDLE FOR AUSTRAILIAN STOCK SADDLE

Does anyone know how the monkey grip is made or has anyone made one?

Would appreciate any info.

If it's for a customer I would say do it the way a suitcase handle is done (rolled and stitched so there is a round "handle" area in the middle)then put a buckle a couple of inches back from each end so that the ends go through the saddle rings and buckle back into buckles.

If it's for personal use I have had good luck with a 1" wide leather dog collar (that's what my wife is using till I can get around to making one for her)

david

Does anyone know how the monkey grip is made or has anyone made one?

Would appreciate any info.

Leave it with me. I,ll put together a tutorial in the morning.

Barra

There are a number of ways to make a monkey strap so I will give you a few options.

1. One can be made from a single strap. Work out the distance between your saddle staples/D's, double this length as well as factor in the length needed to give the strap the clearance needed to be able to grab it and finally allow for the buckle turn back. The slide loops are used to lock off the strap and hold it in place at the staples.

2. The twisted up version can be made from some sort of flexible leather like red hide or latigo. The width can vary but of course it needs to be able to pass through the staples. Starting a couple of inches up one end make a slit in the strap. You will have to work out how long to make the slit but when it is done you bend the strap so the slit is divided in two equal parts. Now twist the two peices of leather either side of the slit, pass the strap through the front staple and through the two twisted portion of your strap. Pull the free end of the leather through and you have formed a sort of larks head knot.

Now take the free end of the strap over to the other staple and pass it over the top of the staple and through, then head back toward the first staple. Adjust the strap to get the clearance you need to be able to grip it. You then commence wrapping the free end of the strap over and over the rest of the strap that is between the staples. When you get to the second staple, pass the strap again through it and with the length of strap left, weave it over/under the lashings you have made.

I hope this makes sense.

Barra.

SH_Monkey_Grip.jpg

post-1669-1241818936_thumb.jpg

Edited by barra

Now I dont know a darn thing about Aussie stock saddles so bear with me. Are you using this as a nightlatch would be used on a Western type saddle, if the horse gets a little Broncy you got something to grab?

TK. Yes this is used as is a Nightlatch and as something to grab when mounting.

Barra.

If it's for a customer I would say do it the way a suitcase handle is done (rolled and stitched so there is a round "handle" area in the middle)then put a buckle a couple of inches back from each end so that the ends go through the saddle rings and buckle back into buckles.

If it's for personal use I have had good luck with a 1" wide leather dog collar (that's what my wife is using till I can get around to making one for her)

david

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try.

There are a number of ways to make a monkey strap so I will give you a few options.

1. One can be made from a single strap. Work out the distance between your saddle staples/D's, double this length as well as factor in the length needed to give the strap the clearance needed to be able to grab it and finally allow for the buckle turn back. The slide loops are used to lock off the strap and hold it in place at the staples.

2. The twisted up version can be made from some sort of flexible leather like red hide or latigo. The width can vary but of course it needs to be able to pass through the staples. Starting a couple of inches up one end make a slit in the strap. You will have to work out how long to make the slit but when it is done you bend the strap so the slit is divided in two equal parts. Now twist the two peices of leather either side of the slit, pass the strap through the front staple and through the two twisted portion of your strap. Pull the free end of the leather through and you have formed a sort of larks head knot.

Now take the free end of the strap over to the other staple and pass it over the top of the staple and through, then head back toward the first staple. Adjust the strap to get the clearance you need to be able to grip it. You then commence wrapping the free end of the strap over and over the rest of the strap that is between the staples. When you get to the second staple, pass the strap again through it and with the length of strap left, weave it over/under the lashings you have made.

I hope this makes sense.

Barra.

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try.

Barra-I've never seen one placed on the side like the one in the picture although I can definately see the benefit of having it there. Also, I wanted to say that's a cool looking strap. I like the way it's attached without buckles but it still looks strong.

David

Hi everyone, This is my first time. Just a thank you to Barra, you have helped me greatly. I have a breaker saddle that a horse that I was breaking in reared over and broke the monkey that I use to get on with and also split the leather on the knee pad. I used the instructions and sort of copied the best I could, the Original Monkey.

Attached are the photo's I took of the monkey before and the new one that I stumbled through. The first is the new monkey, the second is the broken monkey and the third is the split leather on the knee pad.

Corinne

post-28447-083767800 1327556515_thumb.jp

post-28447-046249300 1327556584_thumb.jp

post-28447-058475400 1327556636_thumb.jp

Edited by mccooper1

Looks like it's time for a new saddle... :)