8thsinner

My largest project idea, looking help and suggestions.

Hey guys

Heres the plans and problems of my largest project idea yet, it's been floating around my head for about three years now...I am going to break the whole things down into principes, descriptions and problems....

In it's most basic term, it's a back pack for camping (weekend and week long) trips, carrying around my laptop (15"), general use, BOB (bug out survival bag), Removable water bag (like a runners water pack 5-8 litres), removable hip/bumbag, and finally versatile enough to carry from 25 litres capacity upto about 45 litres of stuff roughly...

The main body will be wine red marble effect leather, pockets will be black as will the water bag, and bumbag and lace trim probably 1/8th black lace...It will not be the lightest bag on the market but if it fills all of the functions I think it's a small price to pay...It will have an industrial kinda look about it with all the lace and cord bits but hey, that suits my image anyway...

It's basic principles are:

1 - wilderness replacable design so no zips, no rings and no plastic etc...If you can't make it with a knife in the woods it's of no use to this design...

2 - Versatile capacity and adjustable removable strap system.

3 - Use as much cord, braid and thonging as possible and the finer the better...eg edge laced where possible and cords of 4-8strand 1/16th pigskin

I don't paticularily care about how much lace ends up being needed as long as I get it done in the next year or so. lol

Okay so, initial design..descriptions and problems thus far yet to be over come....This breaks down roughly as follows...

Main compartment

25 or so litre capacity in regular shape

2 side pockets to carry a standard sized 400 page paper back novel...Pockets lids double length and close with double buttons cords and sliding knots. (extendable on top for higher storage area....

One front pocket big enough for a standard hardback novel 600 or so pages thick...double button/sliding knot closure

Netting using cords which is completely removable if needs be, and can cover the front pocket too, for drying out wet clothes etc on the move...

The jackets and lid will close up using buttons thong loops and tightening knots in a three way configuration using the same knot I use on the necklace types I make as shown on my show off thread...(it's really part of an ongoing major wilderness kit idea)

Problem 1

WIthout using zips I need a way to gain access to almost all of the bag's inside at one time for plucking that one lost battery from the bottom...Thus far the best way of doing this I can think of is to make an inner bag with very wide top half, which is hemmed with holes which lace up the middle....This would also give it a few more inches in thickness for stuff just threw in as always happens with me...

Problem 2

Guaranteed water proof seem using 4strand mexican edge braiding...Will it be tight enough do you think? or should I put a welt in there too, just to be safe???

Problem 3

Major problem. the main bag will have removable straps, the top half of which attach using a larks head loop, the bottom half will tie in its needed position...

However the removable Hip belt needs to be effectively a solid ring around the bag (about three inches wide at the hips themselves) and body in order to properly spread the weight of a fully kitted out camping bag, Thus far I cannot without the use of non wilderness materials work out how to do this, Any ideas welcome...HELP please

Jackets

This is the name I have given to the principle of this part...the lower two thirds of the height of the bag has vertical flaps (much like a jacket in a sense) which close shut almost to meet in the centre line of the bag (on the outside / front) These flaps actually wrap around to cover the main compartment's side and front pockets. These are secured by a thong loop attached to the flap meeting a button set running down through the middle of the main compartment.

The flap has 6 pockets total which tuck in flat when not in use, but when packed get filled with (laundry tablet bags used in the washing machine filled with seperated survival gear, such as water kit, fire kit, food kit, tools kit etc...

Three pockets on the inside and three in same location on the outside....flat lace stitched... double buttons/cord closure system.

When packed out the jacket in it's normal position would no longer meet in the centre, The question of adjustability has been addressed already. This gap however will be filled with the removable water bag....see below...

Removable straps

Initially my idea for these are to use a larks head method of attachment using round braid in the centre which leads to a flat 16 part braid, sinking to a flattened 16 strand round braid (PROBLEM, Would this need some some sort of strap in the centre of this section to keep shape, I have never tried it before) after this anyhow it leads to two 6 strand cords, using the other two strands to work over the knot, then top that knot with a gaucho or something...

I have the idea here of also having removable phone pouch etc, so a few flaps may be added here.

Water bag....2/3rds the height of the bag minus about 2-3 inches. Not more than 7 inches wide total.

Space for a 2litre filled water bag plus two flatish sitting pockets for hydration sachets etc, also doubles as a small use bag perhaps for collecting berries and leaves for food etc...This will be made very thin and probably out of the toughest thinnest pigskin I have...It will use the same straps used for the initial bag, but can optionally use regular cords as straps if needs be.

Hip/bumbag/fanny bag....

This is a tricky one, It's ideals are simple though...

Attaches to the lid of the bag (where a rain cover would be) and is removable to fill the use of a bumbag when removed.

This to be filled with a permanent survival mini kit, or on occassion simply stock a media kit consisting of an archos 504, mini speakers and leads etc....

MAJOR Problem

I want the bag on the lid to suit the following dimensions roughly...8inch on top squarish but rounded top, tapering down over 12 inches to a sort of 4-5 inch circular finish... But on the bumbag front suit the dimensions of 8 inches long 4inches wide and about three inches wide...I cannot work out how to do it as yet. But the bumbag, shoud fit the hip belt of the bag itself if needs be, use the removable main bag straps as a belt or fit over my regular leather belt of 50mm wide....

Problem 2 MINOR

Without zips I am left with only button closure options unless someone can suggest an alternative...

Element problems

Is there is an easy way to use removable buttons? As I will probably start with roll buttons until everything is complete and working before I start braiding 20-30 buttons...

I have thus far been thinking some sort of foldable design but can't quite work it right...

Any ideas welcomed

The rest of the bag itself will have several dozen features from...

Battery slots for spares, which also fits a maglight...

Internal triangular pocket to hold a khukri without the point in it's sheath wearing through the bottom of the bag...

Use a sheeps fur liner to pad the back and double as laptop protector at a basic level...

Fur liner and bamboo skewer mat provide a great seat in wet weather on logs...

Breathing padded back system which uses virtually flat pockets to take spare boxers and socks etc...probably two of each in total.

Internal loops for hanging dry inside out if needs be...

Removable stays for structural strength...

etc etc, Don't worry Full pics and description will be going up when it's completed

I might even try to run through the entire sequence with a camera beside me and being used often...

I have started to run through a series of sketches for this design because a friend is interested in it, so I may be able to load them up in the next week or so.

For anyone who has read this far I thank you and welcome your comments questions and ideas, also I apologise for it's shorter perhaps less descriptive version, Before I finished writing this (VENT WARNING) The damned cat jumped on the keyboard made the target the web address bar, hit a few jeys and managed to hit enter at the same time removing my original writing.......DAMN YOU DIAGO....Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Actually I just thought I would add a few details about the idea being part of a larger whole idea.

You may have noticed I am an outdoorsey type, so carrying a few essentials as part of my regular wear comes in handy for example...

Zippo pouch currently a 16p turks head...

Watch strap with removable comfort inner which acts as a hunting sling...

Three x 1 metres of thonging suits multiple uses...poi, meteor, sling cords, bird hunting boladeros and finally possibly snare use...

Braid covered lead balls each with loop on the ends of them, bola, juggling balls (with flags attached) poi, meteor play, keyring toy for fiddling essentially...

Matching leather necklace as shown else where, just because it's cool, but really has no practical purpose...

Projects planned...

Hollow (bicycle inner tube) braided over strap belt, Braid for effect, hollow for syphoning water/making a shower etc...

Better leather braclets for practical tying....

Hat band braided to match all the other crap...

Edge braided wallet for bits and pieces...

New first aid kit design, small removable belt carry system...

Washing kit small foldable and hangable...

Just thought I would throw that in there....

Thanks again for reading, I appreciate it.

I have now removed my bum bag problem 1 & 2, so no longer need ideas on that element,

8thsinner

I wish had some ideas but I don't. I just want to wish ya the best of luck as it looks like you have a ton of work ahead of ya. When ya get done I would love to see some pictures of what you have come up with. Best of luck!

Mike

Thanks anyway rawhide.

I guess it's the problems I am imposing upon myself by choosing to design fiddly stuff on a large scale.

I have been working far too much on this design this week and not enough on getting a job, however I have begun drawing out a rough guide to it and will start a thread on it to be added to as I progress. Also I worked out a few things yesterday...WOW

372m of 1/16th lace needed for cords and knots...Not including edge lacing the bag itself together...

188 total number of braided knots (some are basis of larger ones though)

20 Solid braided buttons minimum...

I have worked through a few of the problems now anyway, just a couple of things left which will bug me if I can't get any better ideas, or until I do and have the patience to fix them...