zaynexpetty

What Are Some Options For A Large Stamp?

I am in the process of designing a logo for my leatherwork. I will most likely have three different designs, for the first two, I have figured out that I want to hot stamp, so I will be purchasing through a company that will design them for me, and supply me with the appropriate heating device. But as for the other one, I want it relatively large, about 3 1/2 inches in diameter. How would I go about stamping leather with something that big, and have it be even? What would it be made out of? I really like the results from using heat to stamp leather, so I would prefer that method with this large stamp, if at all possible.

Thanks

Zayne

Something that big should be pressed with an arbor press or the like, the pressure needs to be spread over the entire stamp and then it will require quite a bit of pressure to get it to tool the leather properly. Very hard to do with a hammer.

Chief

I usually use my 12 ton clicker press for something that big. But it can be done with an arbor press. Assuming it has a 1" square ram like mine - I usually press in the middle one time. Then move the piece over 1 inch and press again. Rinse and repeat.

Incidentally, Occasionally there is a troublesome spot where it doesn't want to press in. The solution - flip the piece and stamp over and press the leather at the right spot into the stamp.

Cheers!

I usually use my 12 ton clicker press for something that big. But it can be done with an arbor press. Assuming it has a 1" square ram like mine - I usually press in the middle one time. Then move the piece over 1 inch and press again. Rinse and repeat.

Incidentally, Occasionally there is a troublesome spot where it doesn't want to press in. The solution - flip the piece and stamp over and press the leather at the right spot into the stamp.

Cheers!

Something that big should be pressed with an arbor press or the like, the pressure needs to be spread over the entire stamp and then it will require quite a bit of pressure to get it to tool the leather properly. Very hard to do with a hammer.

Chief

Thanks for the responses! It seems that I will have to invest in an arbor press. Do you have any recommendations for a good arbor press that comes with a 1" square ram that isnt too pricey?

Thanks again

Zayne

Harbor Freight has a selection. I would look at them.

Chief

Harbor Freight has a selection. I would look at them.

Chief

I saw that, I don't know what I'd do without Harbor Freight.

Zayne