wildrose

making sheath for curved blade

I've never made a sheath for a curved knife before, and am looking for any and all help I can get on this. Thanks in advance!

005.JPG006.JPG

post-5639-125556156079_thumb.jpg

post-5639-125556157112_thumb.jpg

That's TERRIFIC, thanks!

Nice kukri! I like that the mid handle ridge has been removed already. Just pick it up (if so where?) or has that one been in the family a while?

It belongs to a friend of a friend. I accepted the sheath order before I knew it was for a curved blade...

I know it goes without saying.....but...sheath must be as wide as the widest part of the blade from that point on the blade to the throat of the sheath, if it tapers from there to the tip it is ok.

Art who has only made that mistake ONCE.

It belongs to a friend of a friend. I accepted the sheath order before I knew it was for a curved blade...

A couple of ideas for you.......from one wild rose to another!

WildGoo-012_Knife_Sheath_1.jpg

WildGoo-011_Knife_Sheath_1.jpg

More Views of both pieces can be seen here - Wild Goo # 11 & 12

These sheaths are both what are called a "butterfly" sheath - the handle section is a standard wrap style, while the blade section has seams and welts along both sides - when layed out flat they sort of look like a butterfly - thus the name. Any questions ask away......The knives are e-neps the Thailand version of the kukhri...

Edited by ChuckBurrows

My husband thought it had to be the shape of the blade, but open at the top so it could come out.

I'd love to see any patterns you'd like to send. Customer wants it to be very plain, in fact said scarring on the leather is even fine. It does need a belt loop.

Thanks!

You can also make a sheath that is more closely fitted to the blade by not stitching the entire length of one side of the holster. Leave a slot to provide clearance for the blade and secure with a snap/strap. I do think the full sheath looks and works better, but I wanted to toss out another possibility.

All done. Customer wanted it plain, so plain it is. I might add some rivets to tighten up the fit if he wants.

He said he'd like the leather to look "worn/scruffy", so I gave my 5 year old a mallet and told him to hit it as much as he wanted...

004.JPG005.JPG006.JPG

post-5639-125660840759_thumb.jpg

post-5639-125660841608_thumb.jpg

post-5639-125660842318_thumb.jpg