How do you decide if a saddle is worth restoring?

I mean, if it's a well-known maker, has historical significance, belonged to someone famous/infamous, has sentimental value-- these are all good reasons.

But what about the ones you find at barn auctions, or are handed to you by someone who "heard you like old saddles"?

What do you take into account to decide if a project saddle is worth your time? How do you evaluate condition? What are deal-breakers?

This applies to anything. I have seen guys dump way more into restoring a car than it was worth, but to them it was a worthwhile project. It may be just to see if you can do something,an experiment, or you need something to whittle away the time on. There is no one answer to this query. Each person will have their own reasons to do something like this. Even for me, I have saved/rebuilt/made items that others wouldn't. For some it was just a case of not wanting to see it go to a landfill, others it was a let's see if I can do this project.

I see a lot of old dried out saddles that I would consider decorations at best, and others that are so dried out, and warped that they are not even attractive as decorations. If it was just a run of the mill saddle I would probably look at it from a pure cost benefit analysis. Can you get one in better shape for less than the repairs? How much time vs. a little more in cost? Just because the price is right it doesn't make it a good project to sink time,or money into.