Paulsleather

Black Water Buffalo Briefcase

Hi folks,

Here is another recently completed hand stitched 16 x 11 x 3 single gusset, lock and hasp briefcase. The bag contains two internal pouch pockets, separate front and back flap pockets, solid brass feet and hardware done in a matte nickel finish, a five layer parallel stitched solid leather handle, and an adjustable 1¼ shoulder strap with buckle and padded suede lined shoulder guard.

It was cut from a double bend of 7 ounce black water buffalo hide with the internal pouch pockets of 2 ounce black velvet pig suede. All exposed edges hand beveled, sanded and dyed in USMC black. Hand burnished, sealed with Resolene and then waxed.

The customer did not request a lining for this bag as the flesh side of the leather was essentially a short nap grayish sued. I was relieved! I put in a reinforcing bar this time as the water buffalo did not have the stiffness needed to support the handle and flap. The handle itself took a fair bit of time to shape the layers and then stitch in a center welt. The center didnt sit up as high as I envisioned but there was no way I was going to build that thing again.

Anyway, thanks for looking / reading appreciate your comments and feedback.

Best regards,

Paul

post-35245-0-05693900-1403108379_thumb.j

post-35245-0-10986900-1403108404_thumb.j

post-35245-0-05531100-1403108423_thumb.j

post-35245-0-37233100-1403108452_thumb.j

post-35245-0-79714000-1403108469_thumb.j

post-35245-0-91880100-1403108492_thumb.j

post-35245-0-87049900-1403108519_thumb.j

Looks heavy. How much does it weigh?

Nice work Paul.

The handle is the best part of the whole bag. Can you detail a bit more as to how you did the handle part.

Also did you hand stitch the whole bag?

Very nice.

Cheers

Trevor

"Way Down Under"

Beautiful work!

Thanks 73 and Benlilly.

LTC I'm not exactly sure but I would guess 5, maybe 6 lbs.

Thanks, Trevor. Yes, all hand stitched. I posted a few pics that will help highlight the construction. Hard to document it all in words but I'll try.

I started with a long strip which spans the length of the handle and attaches to the d rings. I then glue a narrow strip down the back of that. Next, I glue the raw flap of the handle on top. Oops, Prior to that I run two grooves for stitching the flap onto the underlying center strap. Mark with a wheel, punch the holes and then stitch. I then glue another two layers to the bottom side and then clamp it all for a spell. The subjective part comes next.

With a knife I round off the edges and check the thickness and shape. When I'm happy with that I turn Down the flaps and cut them to length so that they meet in the middle. Then I run a groove on each side, mark it with a wheel and punch the holes. Lastly, I tie the handle flaps together with a baseball stitch.

Hope that helps!

Paul

post-35245-0-27916200-1403134423_thumb.j

post-35245-0-57319000-1403134806_thumb.j

post-35245-0-20785500-1403134825_thumb.j

Edited by Paulsleather

Sweet! You did a great job!

That is a Very Nice Briefcase. Great job, and thanks for the how-to on the handle.

heck, I really think breaking out the handle construction detail and pinning as a tutorial would be a lifesaver for many

Sweet! You did a great job!

That is a Very Nice Briefcase. Great job, and thanks for the how-to on the handle.

heck, I really think breaking out the handle construction detail and pinning as a tutorial would be a lifesaver for many

Thanks all! Not sure how to go about getting something pinned but that would be fine with me.

Many thanks for the details. To me its the handle that can make or break the look. Nice work.

Cheers