yuliya

Cutting Leather

hello,

I want to make some latigo leashes.

the question I have is : do they have to be cut straight? meaning that I need to find a hide long enough

or can they be cut in a circle kind of like a lace out of the roo?

I need to make 6ft leashes (need 7 ft to make a handle and back braiding) that are 5/8" wide. and would like to have as little waste as possible.

thanks!

Cut them straight. Order you a side of leather and tell them that it needs to be at least 7 foot, most will be longer.

thank you. I talked to them. but it seems that I only will be able to use about 1/3 of the side that way. Have no idea what to do with the rest:-(

I don't know anyone who needs a leather collars and because neither latigo nor english bridle can be carved I hate to have such a big waste.

thank you. I talked to them. but it seems that I only will be able to use about 1/3 of the side that way. Have no idea what to do with the rest:-(

I don't know anyone who needs a leather collars and because neither latigo nor english bridle can be carved I hate to have such a big waste.

Make collars from the rest.

Make collars from the rest.

:-) I do not know anyone who could make a use of a leather collar and I am sure not set up for selling it at the shows or other places. the only request I have is for 6' leashes, technically I could make 4' leads, but again, I have no idea who would use them.:-( my personal interests are in carving and knife sheaths and english bridle is no use.

if I decide to make collar I wouldn't 8-10 oz be too thick to double for a collar and kind of boring in one layer?

Oh you don't need to go to shows...just sell them on ebay or Etsy or Yardseller or Bonanza. And I wouldn't "double layer" the leather... just dye and slick the back side if it needs it, slap some buckles on... and if you want you could do spots and dots or spikes. IF you sell your leashes for enough this waste would turn into pure profit.

Another option is to send it to me... I'll "dispose" of it for you. LOL

Everyone wants 6' leashes, but if you explain that the cow is not that long all the time, then you'll get more customers for the 5' leashes. Near the belly could be used for tab leashes (12" - 24").

As Sylvia says, Collars are easy and pretty good sellers. They can be from 1/2" wide all the way up to 4" wide (for the bully breeds).

I get my sides and have them "stripped" - cut into strips. I prefer 3" strips. then I can easily cut 3/4", 1", 1.5" etc. Strips are easier to handle and only cost an extra $5 or so to have it done. Zack White does it for me.

If you know people that want a leash, you know people that can use a collar. Look around. For example, I "specialize" in exotic coverings and inlays. My biggest market is the bully breeds and there's a gazillion makers slapping spots and spikes on collars. Not many (yet) are messing with the exotics. Once you get started making collars, you'll love it and leashes will get boring. lol

g'luck

Buy your leather from Springfield Leather and they will sell you a 7 foot long X feet wide piece. Last one I got was 84 inches long and 2 feet wide. They had no problem handling the order and sold me Herman Oak leather for a great price. There was no extra charge for the less than full side order. Springfield will solve that problem.

Michael

Michael,

thank you. I'll check them out!

Spence,

The facility where I train my dogs uses 6ft leashes for training. Anything shorter is not good for that purpose.

we use chain collars. I know some conformation people but they use chain collars also.

I am sure the leather collars would be fun to make and I have some ideas, but I have no idea where I would market it.

I've been looking at Etsy to sell some of the stuff I make but there are so many listings and I see the same listings by other people sitting there for ever.

I'd much rather do some custom work than produce something to throw on Etsy and hope it will sell one day.

I'll might give it a shot though.

my main goal is to make some money so I can buy tools and carving leather for practice. I am not really trying to run a profitable business at this point.

thank you for all the suggestions!

+1 on springfield...they will even send you latigo strips if you want..i just order 84 inch long 1 inch wide strips for a bridle that I was doing...cut was nice and straight...

One of the reasons for the 6 foot leash in many cases, is AKC regulations for some events..

Just as an example, Rally Excellent does (or did) require an extended sit, at the end of a 6 foot leash, in a marked area, while the competitor who follows you completes their course.

Also, I have seen instructions somewhere on how to take a side, round the 4 corners and use a hand held strap cutter to cut a continuous strip around the perimeter to produce 30+ foot straps. I think it was for Latigo and veg-tan.

If I can find the instructions, I'll post them here.

Tom

Another option is to send it to me... I'll "dispose" of it for you. LOL

And if for some reason you can not dispose of it I know a guy who knows a guy who probably can.