KCF2013

Cutting Long Mystery Braids

I am trying to come up with a way to cut mystery braids more symetrical...Currently doing some long braid work of 16" of braid.

Any tips for cutting such a long plait.

I have tried clamping between two yard sticks and still can seem to keep a steady hand.

Even tried to put two blades in a piece of pine at my desired width, started the cut with my knife and placed the strap over the block and pulled through, similar to the lace cutter.... still came out all wonky

My pieces are 1/2"(12mm) by 24" (610mm)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Rick

@KingCoForge

Tandy has a lace cutter that might help,it even says it is for braids. http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/3112-00.aspx

Where in NB are you, I was in Doaktown in august visiting family.

Hi Rick- what weight of leather are you cutting, on bridle weight leather 3-4mm depth I usually mark up the stands using a pair of compasses then cut down those lines as you would for putting a straight edge on a butt. For lighter leather I use magic tape (whitish sellotape that can be written on and easily removed) and draw on top of that before cutting then remove the tape as the tape holds the leather straight and the lines are easily seen. I also use the magic tape for cutting out other patterns on light leathers and for stitch marking on patent leather when the marks vanish. I have used the gadgets for cutting strands but like you it wanders a bit on the less rigid leathers as you need a steady straight pull but since I tend to use heavier leather more I usually use a half head knife.

Tandy has a lace cutter that might help,it even says it is for braids. http://www.tandyleat...ts/3112-00.aspx

Where in NB are you, I was in Doaktown in august visiting family.

I am in the Hamlet of Browns Flat, NB right along the mighty Saint John River, Doaktown is about 2 hrs from me.

Will give the lace cutter a go..Thanks

Hi Rick- what weight of leather are you cutting, on bridle weight leather 3-4mm depth I usually mark up the stands using a pair of compasses then cut down those lines as you would for putting a straight edge on a butt. For lighter leather I use magic tape (whitish sellotape that can be written on and easily removed) and draw on top of that before cutting then remove the tape as the tape holds the leather straight and the lines are easily seen. I also use the magic tape for cutting out other patterns on light leathers and for stitch marking on patent leather when the marks vanish. I have used the gadgets for cutting strands but like you it wanders a bit on the less rigid leathers as you need a steady straight pull but since I tend to use heavier leather more I usually use a half head knife.

Thanks for the tip, will give it a try