joshmobley

Cutting Leather After Fabrication Is Finished

Hello folks - my first post here - as I've just started getting interested in leatherwork.

I have started my first project - a minimal IWB holster for a pistol. After stitching and wet-forming the holster, I've realized that i have more leather below the muzzle than I need (about an inch).

I was wondering if after waiting for the holster to completely dry, I could trim this excess leather and reform the bottom of the holster.

Is there a good reason not to do that? I've included a picture.

Thanks!

post-51414-0-28030600-1397229484_thumb.j

I had some time - so I went ahead with the X-Acto knife and some 150 grit sand paper and evened out the bottom. It looks much better and I don't have all of that excess material in the way.

Welcome to the forum! I cut things after they have dried with no problems, but reforming that area might be a bit tricky. If you wet only that area you might end up with water marks. I was always advised against only wetting certain areas, but I have gotten away with it. Of course, if you are going to dye that a dark color then potential water marks probably aren't an issue.

Just my opinion as I am not a holster maker and don't really wet mold very much at all, so I could be wrong.

Bob

HI Josh,

I regularly trim stuff after it has been wet moulded. In fact it is the only way to work if you are stretching leather over a wooden former and nailing it to a baseboard. Like Bob says, you risk water marks if you only re-wet a small area, so just put the whole thing back in the bucket of water and wet it evenly, do your final shaping and let it dry again. It works for me, fella!

Enjoy.

Ray