tbird1960

Toledo Sewing Machine

Does anyone have a Toledo cb3500 or a cb4500 leather sewing machine that they are using and maybe give me some information about? Would like to know how well they work and if you have had either of them very long?

I have had a CB4500 for a few weeks now.

Bob and Toledo are Good to Go as far as service, I got my machine in 10 days ready to sew.

I chose the Cowboy because it was cheaper than the Cobra and shipping was much cheaper to Louisiana from Ohio than California. I originally thought that there might be some downside to the Cowboy over the Cobra since it was cheaper, but from what I can tell everything on the Cowboy is Equal or better than the Cobra. You don't get everything you get with the Cowboy as the cobra, but for the base price of the Cobra I was able to get the Cowboy 4500, Holster Plate, Table attachment, left toe foot, a few extra pounds of thread, 30 needles and it shipped to my door. The only thing that I didn't get was the strap plate and the Cobra DVD's. You can watch anything you need to know about a juki clone on youtube, and I pretty much new how everything worked by time it got here.

The only thing that would make me switch to another Juki clone over a Cowboy is if there was a dealer within driving distance of me or they just dramatically raised their price.

Prices are about the same or very similar. I got a 4500 or whatever you wanna call it from Neels saddlery darn I think it was about 8 months or so ago. Its been a while. Great machines. No complaints so far but then again I dont use it every day. Go with which ever is closer IMHO but either way you cant go wrong with either a cowboy or cobra.

I bought the CB3500 from Toledo Bob last March and I'm loving it. I use it every day.

I've had pilot errors, but no machine issues.

When I do need some help, Bob is only an email, phone call, or a half hour drive away.

Bought my CB4500 from Bob in July. I've used it every day and have had no problems at all with it. It's a very good machine. I'm actually going to buy a 2nd machine after the New Year, and it will most likely be another Cowboy. Bob has always been very fast to answer any question I have, no matter how dumb the question is. I had no experience at all with a sewing machine before buying this, and it was very easy to learn to use. I highly recommend Cowboy an Toledo Bob.

I'm looking at buying a Cowboy machine, I hit a link on the ad up top and got some overseas site which put me in touch with another dealer in Ohio.

I was expecting to contact Bob but ended up talking to Ryan.

I'll be looking forward to getting the machine but not the learning curve.

Kevin

Good Morning Kevin!

IF..you follow the really good assembly instructions, IF..you thread the machine per drawings and install needle properly, and IF...you have a LITTLE patience,THEN... the learning curve will be really short. Just ask Bob any questions or post them here.

Good choice.

Good luck

Another Kevin.

Kevin, Kevin's right......congrats on your new machine!

Threading the machine was intimidating enough for me at first, it very quickly became second nature........and OIL!!

I'll be relying on lots of help no doubt, I wanted to deal with Bob because of his input here but Ryan has been very accommodating and I'll speak with him tomorrow.

I'm not sure if I need the extra length on the 4500 or whether the 3500 will suffice?

I'm absolutely clueless about sewing leather with a machine but I'll learn.

Tree....I've had the 3500 for 10 months now and I make holsters, knife sheaths, and belts on a daily basis, and I've yet to "wish I had the longer arm"...but you'll hear, when in doubt, and you have the $$, it's better to overkill.

Having the guide on the right of the needle makes me wonder if I really need the extra space on the right side of the guide.

My thought is, most of my work will be using the guide .

Tree....I've had the 3500 for 10 months now and I make holsters, knife sheaths, and belts on a daily basis, and I've yet to "wish I had the longer arm"...but you'll hear, when in doubt, and you have the $, it's better to overkill.

I bought the 4500 for the longer arm because.. I didn't and still don't know what I will sew in the future and only want to do this once. Second, I think the resale value in the future will make up the current cost, if I ever want to sell while I'm alive, which I doubt.

One thing I may not do, if I had to do-over is buy all the accessories. But then again, what will I sew next year????

Kevin

Having the guide on the right of the needle makes me wonder if I really need the extra space on the right side of the guide.

My thought is, most of my work will be using the guide .

Do not assume that all of your sewing will be along the edges only. One day someone will want a Western holster and as you stitch around the 22 inches of body and back flap, you'll appreciate the 16.5 inch arm. Or, perhaps you'll sew a pistol belt with gunfighter stitching, like I do. You'll need all the room on the right side that you can get.

Ok; Well that's it then!

Thanks all.

Kevin.

Ok; Well that's it then!

Thanks all.

Kevin.

I still struggle on my Union Lockstitch machine, which has a 12" space on the right, when I sew weight belts, gun belts or large holsters. It takes a lot of room to fold up a double leather belt or strap for fancy fishtail stitching. Actually, a 25 inch arm is best for such work.