hairybiker

Singer 29K Problem

hi everybody, first time here,i have just purchased a singer 29k53,wouldnt pick up top thread onto bobbin,bought a new bobbin hook,sorted,now the top thread loops too much and ends up getting jammed around bobbin i have adjusted take up arm and top tension but it still seems to get jammed,hoping someone on here has seen this before and can give me some ideas.....cheers.

I'm not entirely sure if your machine has one, but it sounds like the bobbin case opener is not properly adjusted. I'd take a few hours and follow all the adjustment procedures in the service manual (should be easy to find a pdf online). It's well worth it to do it properly, you'll need the right tools and measurement devices.

Also your original problem sounds like a timing issue, not a defective hook.

I'm not entirely sure if your machine has one, but it sounds like the bobbin case opener is not properly adjusted. I'd take a few hours and follow all the adjustment procedures in the service manual (should be easy to find a pdf online). It's well worth it to do it properly, you'll need the right tools and measurement devices.

Also your original problem sounds like a timing issue, not a defective hook.

hi there,my machine has not got a bobbin case opener and the original hook had been worn down to a round end instead of the point it should have,i have played with the timing but to no avail,so i am going to try and strip down the head ,clean and check for wear and see what i find.

I had this issue with a 53 and it turned out to be that the bobbin carrier was sitting too high...I think the previous owner had "had a go at it" but gave up and sold it on.

You should have no problems closing the cover over the bobbin...mine would just touch it and that turned out to be the problem. Also, make sure that the little bobbin tensioner thingy that you can see in the side of the bobbin carrier in pic 2 is not clogged with dirt and is working freely.

I did take a few pictures before I took mine apart to make sure that cogs go back into the arm in the right place so that the timing was still ok.

I will attach the pics as they may help you or others and pic 6 shows the gap under the bobbin carrier that caused the problems for me.

Good luck with it and tinkering with these old machines will keep you sane like me! :crazy:

post-13860-0-54943900-1358548951_thumb.j

post-13860-0-58394800-1358548976_thumb.j

post-13860-0-13868300-1358549012_thumb.j

post-13860-0-20022000-1358549035_thumb.j

post-13860-0-65836900-1358549045_thumb.j

post-13860-0-61768500-1358549055_thumb.j

post-13860-0-29811200-1358549071_thumb.j

post-13860-0-71690700-1358549082_thumb.j

post-13860-0-51415300-1358549096_thumb.j

thank you for your advice,i have checked the clearance of the carrier and that is fine,but the tension spring is not good(does not move freely, catches on carrier),i have got it to move without catching but i will have to replace it,i didnt realise this spring could cause such a problem,i also greased the gears to help with any play and now it is stitching better,cheers,martin.