Troy I

Making A 1907 Military Rifle Sling

I was thinking of making a 1907 Rifle Sling, but I have no idea where to get the "sling claws"...I'm not sure if this is what they are called, but they hook the two sling straps togeather...Please Help. I have attached a pic to show what they look like.

Thanks,

Troy

post-42117-0-47275900-1392509745_thumb.j

Ohio Travel bag carries them in brass, you might want to "antique" them a little. They are on Page 217 of the catalog.

Chief

Thanks, will Ohio Travel Bag sell to someone who does not have a bussiness lic.? The last time I checked you needed a tax id number.

Found them at Hardware Elf...thanks Chief for the info...Troy

You beat me to it, I was just going to tell you Hardware elf, Tandys and Springfield leather. Tandy calls theirs 2 prong strap hooks.

I believe OTB will sell to individuals, not sure, however, they do have a minimum order amount that you have to meet. The quality of their hardware is head and shoulders above Tandy and Tandy resellers.

Chief

Thank you Chief for all your help. Troy

OTB has a 50 dollar minimum order. You don't need a tax anything. The two hole 1" wide frog (hook) is around .70 cents each the three rivet frog is 2.19 each they are for the 1 1/4" slings. Do not use latigo leather. I use Herman Oak 10-12 oz. and I split it down to an even 10oz.

Front half of the sling is 1"x48" long the rear piece is 1"x30" in length. It is made of 9 to 10 oz. material. The belt keepers are 1" wide made from 4 or 6oz. leather I use belt loop staples to fasten the ones I make. The hole spacing is 1 1/4" the spread of the holes is 3/4" center. You will need 3/16"x5/16" rivets to attach the hook. 2 hooks per sling 2 belt keepers per sling.

Google the sling name as "03-A3 sling". There are lots of them.

Good luck. I sell a bunch of these things before hunting season gets started. Whole sale is 12-14 $ a piece.

Edited by Geneva

WOW--Geneva--thanks, this saved me a lot of trail and error in trying to work everything out. Thanks

Troy, this might help also it is a down loadable patternand instructions for a 1907 rifle sling done by Roy 29 (eightbits) a member on these forums.

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=51400&hl=%2Brifle+%2Bsling

I forgot the loop that holds everything together. It is 1" x 3/8"

Thank you everyone. ..This information is very helpful. Just need to get an order together. Thanks again. Troy

There's this guy making these straps. He sells them in steel. For the love of God, I can't remember his name.

But they're called frogs, and that might help you in the right direction.

Thanks everyone. ..I just ordered some frogs from Ohio travel bag in brass as well as some other hardware. Thanks for all your help.