jesters1

Fully adjustable rifle sling pattern?

I've searched the forum and haven't come up with what I'm looking for. I want to make a basic two piece rifle sling, the kind that has an adjustment for your arm to go through and an adjustment for your hand to go through. All that I've seen are made in two pieces with a frog on the back piece that lets you cinch it up for storage. Anybody got a pattern?

Paul

Paul, not quite sure of what your looking for, especially the hand part.This pattern is a two piece design that adjusts from the bottom sling swivel using chicago screws.I have the thumb loop on this one riveted but multiple holes could be punched and attached via chicago screws.Dave

jeff1.jpg

That looks really good but it's a different style that I was thinking. Military rifles used to be issued with the type I'm intersted in, and most target shooters still use them. The sling I want to make makes two loops, one to put your left arm through and the other your hand. That braces the rifle to keep the left arm from moving. I've found pics online, but no plans.

Did you happen to find this link http://www.rollanet.org/~stacyw/rifle_sling_home_page.htm

I searched all kinds of stuff before getting some help from David. You may not find the exact pattern but you may get en0ough from there to be able to build one.

I clicked through the page and did find some that were the type I'm looking for. It's a simple piece and I can figure it out I'm sure. It would just be easier to start with a worked out pattern that I know is good from the beginning.

I know exactly what you are talking about. Have you had any luck yet, progress. the big box stores have had nylon ones for $10ish that are good for patterns and brownells has their latigo for $50ish. The nylon ones are good as a pattern and perfectly serviceable. let me know, I'll lend any help (pic ect) if I can, I have several to choose from and have made a few in the past but no pattern, just straps, rings, and chicago screws.

Sounds like what Jester1 is describing is what is called a 'ching sling'.  Check brasstacker.  They sell them with the stabilizing loop for mosins and other rifles. 

yes I also think it is ching sling.. or that s what they used to be called.

This may be what you are looking for, . . . it is THE pattern for those who shoot high power at Camp Perry and other places.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grade-B-Tan-US-M1907-Leather-Rifle-Shooting-Sling-M1-Garand-1903-Springfield-/382093886500?hash=item58f6920424:g:dPgAAOSwsW9Y2zfN

You could buy this "el cheapo" and use it for a pattern to make yourself a really good one.  

This is the "used to be" US military sling, . . . till they went to cotton ones, then to polyester or whatever the new material is.

May God bless,

Dwight

7 hours ago, Dwight said:

This may be what you are looking for, . . . it is THE pattern for those who shoot high power at Camp Perry and other places.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grade-B-Tan-US-M1907-Leather-Rifle-Shooting-Sling-M1-Garand-1903-Springfield-/382093886500?hash=item58f6920424:g:dPgAAOSwsW9Y2zfN

You could buy this "el cheapo" and use it for a pattern to make yourself a really good one.  

This is the "used to be" US military sling, . . . till they went to cotton ones, then to polyester or whatever the new material is.

May God bless,

Dwight

These are indeed excellent slings. The specs are available online with some judicious Googleing -- search for "M1907 sling".

I have made one (using webbing belt) similar to the army slings, but it is used with your arm going through the loop and set to assist you in shooting while standing.

Your stability is achieved from the sling forming a tri angle with the rifle and your forearm pushing against the front stock.

Check out "accu sling" for more options!

20151011_125320.jpg

Edited by dirkba

What a lot of more casual rifle shooters may not appreciate is that the M1907 design is more than an adjustable strap from butt to forend. It is designed to be unhooked and quickly converted into a target-style single-point sling with an adjustable cuff for the upper arm. Properly setup this allows for a very stable position, especially prone. Utility in the field for war or hunting is questionable but it makes a bloody fine one for range use. This 1940s instructional film gives you the idea: