Sign in to follow this  
Regis

holsters are press fitted/formed

It appears that holsters that are press fitted/formed (hydralic press) are not carved & tooled. Does the tooling get badly distorted in forming? Does perhaps vacuum forming allow retention of tooling? Or, is it just impractical for some other reason on tooled holsters? I know that I can tool, fold, glue & sew a more"rounded" holster (more western style) but, does anyone tool and then use pressure to form?

Thanks,

Regis

yes the patterns do suffer some what when forming in a vacuum(sheath expearence) holsters should be the same;

if it is a free hand pattern you can touch it up after shaping,,,tooling: im not sure

Hey Regis!

As a general rule, I don't form the front of a tooled holster much. I dampen the back more than the front, and I only use the bone or deer horn on the back. I gently form the front around the slide/barrel and trigger guard with my finger tips and perhaps the background tool (inn the backgrounded areas), but no more than that.

Hope this helps...

Mike

P.S. I only dampen the INSIDE of the front, so I don't screw up the tooling if I can help it.

Edited by Mike Craw