Sixer

Press For Pull The Dot Snaps... Suggestions?

I use Pull the Dot snaps on all of holsters (belt loops, thumb-breaks, etc) and I could use a press to save some time. It would also be nice if I could use it for rivets, eyelets, etc... Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Sixer: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=26305&hl="hobby%20lobby"#entry165483

When you go there, . . . they have two tools, . . . this is the snap tool, . . . it is FABULOUS, and I'm trying not to shout.

They also sell another similar tool that should be hanging pretty near this one, . . . looks a lot like it, . . . about the same price, . . . it does eyelets, smaller snaps, . . .

For more info on this whole subject, . . . hit the advanced search button up in the right hand corner, . . . in the search window put "Hobby Lobby" (make sure you use the quotes), . . . down in the author, . . . put Dwight.

There have been several threads on this and similar subjects. My tool works equally well on pull the dots and regular line 24.

May God bless,

Dwight

Look at the press n snap too. Search it out on here. The guy that made me a boat cover uses them on stainless snaps, he probably sets a couple thousand a year, good covers = busy guy.

It'll only do snaps and grommets though. You cab modify the standard line 24 socket die to did the PTD or LTS snaps by grinding a small flat on it. Mine came from Rochford Supply, $116 with the line 24 dies and 0 size grommet die. I did buy the bench mount too. So far I'm very pleased with it, beats the heck outta the arbor press setup I was using.

Jeremy

One more thing, the Press N Snap is USA made!

Jeremy

I use a 1 ton arbor press. But I probably set mine differently too. And I mostly use it for rivets. I have a rare earth magnet that holds the top setter to the press and built a bottom surface from a cutting board to hold the cups and punch holes. So, my arbor press gets used for rivets, snaps, and punching holes.

Could you post a picture of your set up for the rivets portion? I have an arbor press I modified to set snaps using just a regular hand tool setter(the kind that gets hit with a mallet). It works about as good as a mallet really. The Press N Snap works much much better. I'd like to use the arbor press for rivets though.

The press n snap would be a good inexpensive choice for pull the dot snaps. You can modify the die to fit in by filing one side flat or just buy the correct die. The tool is much bigger than it looks in pictures.

I use a 1 ton arbor press. But I probably set mine differently too. And I mostly use it for rivets. I have a rare earth magnet that holds the top setter to the press and built a bottom surface from a cutting board to hold the cups and punch holes. So, my arbor press gets used for rivets, snaps, and punching holes.

Here you go. Nothing fancy really. Holding the rivet tool got annoying fast. I bought these magnets intending on using them to replace snaps. I've not gotten around to working that out so I used them here. It holds my rivet setter, hole punches, and snap setters. I'm considering having a buddy drill and tap the press to mount them in the press. I just wish my belt loop cutter fit in the press. It's way too long.

The main functional benefit to this setup is that you don't get the setter jumping around and creasing the rivets. I use domed rivets. Personally, I do a lot of stuff at night after work. And now I can set rivets and not wake my wife and kids up with the banging. That alone is worth the price of the press. The more I use it, the more I like it. I've had it about 2 weeks now.

GEDC0030_zpsdea9b005.jpg

GEDC0029_zpsba2aa7b2.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. I thought you meant that you somehow had the end as the magnet which held the rivet on. That works too though. What I did with mine is had the shaft (?) part drilled out on both ends. One end is large enough to put a stamp handle in and the other is big enough for the snap setter. I stuck a little ball of beeswax up in the hole which was enough to hold them in and allow me to remove them. I'm able to switch the shaft around if need be pretty easily. I was going to drill and tap it for set screws but found it was fine as is. I may try to drill out the snap setter hole to fit the rivet tool since I no longer use the snap part.

Ok...I am confused as to what I need for setting 24 snaps and Pull the Dot

Looking at the press n snap with bench mount. I only need to press the socket and cap as these will be for soft loops that will use a chicago post and screw on the stud side.

Would the following be all I need:

Press n snap tool with standard cap die and standard socket die for line 24 snaps

Would I be able to just add a PTD socket die and use the standard cap die?

For example:

http://www.canvastraining.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=411

+

http://www.canvastraining.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=418

You should be able to file a small flat on the standard socket die to make clearance for the interruption in the socket.

You can also use an 8/32 T nut and 8/32 phillips flat undercut machine screw for the post side. I get the screws in 3/8 length from McMaster Carr, I use stainless steel for both parts. The undercut allows enough room for the snap to close properly, that is yhe key

Edited by J Hayes

I posted a picture a while back showing the difference and all you'd have to do, you should be able to search it out easy enough.

Thanks guys....the search feature is coming back with way too many results that are not related.

will keep looking

Thanks Billy...that helps a ton and I will be buying the setup today.