Sturme

Drill Chuck On Arbor Press.

I am buying an arbor press this weekend, and the thought hit me after seeing a few you-tube videos of arbor presses working with leather.

since most arbor presses are drilled out for kydex rivets, why not have a drill chuck modified to slip on the ram? just think of it holding your riveting and eyelet tools, or you stamp handle for small 3d stamps. with a 1/2 ton or 1 ton arbor, these things will be a breeze to do and give great impressions. think of how easy it would be for punching holes when hand sewing.

Sounds like a good one to me, . . . my press, the ram comes out the front with 4 screws, . . . would be neat to have the flat foot on one end, . . . drill chuck on the other.

Drill one end, . . . tap it for the threaded stud to hold your chuck, . . . you're good to go.

May God bless,

Dwight

Ian Atkinson has a video on youtube for using the arbor press for rivets, makers stamps, snaps and kydex. Good video and good ideas.

That's a good idea, if you did that it would probably look something like this ...post-19342-0-79973600-1386459383_thumb.j

I drill a hole the diameter of the tool I want to use in the end of the bar, and hold it with a set screw on the side. I had machine shop's do the work, but I was told the metal is not that hard. You could probably do it yourself with a big drill press and some new bits. I have found I like two presses, one for holes, and another for rivets/snaps. Nice part is, no die's needed, you can set snaps and rivets all day long with cheap hammer tools. You'll have to rig some sort of deck for the arbor press, but it's not that big a deal. Metal's nice, but oak is pretty strong, and you dont need a machinest. I use harbor freight presses, and sent them to the powdercoaters. Have done several, they work great.

They come in two sizes. If you have the room to leave it in one place, the big one is nice. If you are going to move it around, get the smaller one.