KrisbeeKream

Can't Make My Own Pony, Where To Find?

The title should sum it up. I don't have tools, experience, or space to construct my own stitching pony, so I've been looking for pre-made. There's a Tandy about a mile from my house (lucky me!) but their pony has some pretty terrible reviews. Does anyone have some recommendations?

I bought the older Tandy pony about 5 years ago and its fine. This one https://www.tandyleather.com/en-usd/search/searchresults/3133-00.aspx looked ok in the store. A little expensive but looked sturdy. Springfield leather has the same one for 10.00 less but you pay shipping. http://springfieldleather.com/32886/Stitching-Horse%2COriginal/

I see nothing wrong with the above model. The $29.00 model from Tandy is for not as good. Its mainly for lacing but would work if you put some leather inside the jaws to cover the wood. It all depends on your budget. Personally if I had to buy another one Id get the $99.00 from Tandy and be done with the searching.

YMMV

Almost anything is better than nothing when you start. Buy the Tandy one, line it with leather as lapaglia wisely recommended, and try it out. If you stay with the craft, upgrade. Do you have a friend or relative that has tools? If so, it is pretty simple to build one when you are ready.

Thanks for the advice. I ended up following it and picking up the tandy model. There are a couple of issues with it, but they're pretty minor. There's less hardware provided than is even on the instructions, but it still assembles. It also grips pretty tight, so even with the extra leather I added to the jaws I'll have to be careful. But considering I was able to drive a couple of miles and get myself something at all when I had nothing, I'm calling it a win!

Which one did you get from Tandy?

You could get a cheap (new or secondhand) hobby type or multi angle vice ( USA = vise) That will do for small projects like wallets, belts, & sheaths, while you think about a proper stitching horse/pony. You might have to move your chair round 90 degrees from the front of the bench. Accept that if you con't have the perfect answer, you might be a bit slower, and work within your limits. Pad the jaws with scrap leather

Afterwards the vice will always come in useful for fixing awls, holding a strop, and generally as a third hand. You'll wonder how you managed without one