Hello, long time follower of this board, first time poster.

I am thinking about making some leather armor with a "metallic" color, but rather than the classic gold and silver, I wanted to have a metallic dark green. How would I achieve this? Acrylic? Dye? There are several different types of coloring agents out there, and I am assuming I will probably be mixing two of them. My goal would be something that would be pliable, long lasting, and preferably not need a top finishing coat. Which product would you recommend?

Unfortunately I am new to the practice and have very little experience in coloring leather, the only products I have been using for my projects has been the Eco-Flo All-In-One which I enjoy using.

The color I am looking for is best represented by these pictures from Etsy attached below.

post-55675-0-14637200-1416334477_thumb.j

post-55675-0-10633500-1416334479_thumb.j

post-55675-0-74203900-1416334479_thumb.j

Hello Smahon,

There are probably more talented folks out there, that can better answer this question for you but I will tell you what I have done to achieve such results.

Mix pearl with green stains offered by Tandy. Also, even though water based products are not supposed to work with spirit based dyes, I have achieved good results using the pearl stain of Tandy's, mixed with Kelly Green spirit dye and other green spirit dyes of Angelus and Fiebings. These are something a friend and I achieved by experimenting with different color combinations.

Hope it works for you.

God Bless.

Ray

If you have an airbrush, a metallic airbrush paint is probably your best bet. I believe Createx has a line of metallic pigments for this.

I've had success mixing metallic powder pigments in leather sealant to paint in small areas on dog collars. I can't speak for how this would behave on such large areas.