I have no local selection for the leather acrylic paints and need some to finish a product this week. There is a local hobby store, so any difference in the acrylic paint made for leather vs. what I will find there?

Yes there is a difference! For hobby store acrylics, get the best they have, not the cheap $1/bottle stuff. Apply in thinned layers to build up your color. If you have a way to get it or need it badly enough to pay higher shipping, call Springfield Leather and order the Angelus paints.

Couldn't find anything that looked like anything other than a waste of money, and since I wasn't going to have the right material for the job I opted to try some white spray paint I had sitting at home. Only attempted this shortcut since I needed a very small amount of white accents. dried everything very thorough and sealed with a few coats of supersheen. I think it should hold, I guess we'll see. All the other coloring is Fieblings dye.

So far I'm happy with the results.

post-42611-0-07331300-1418496257_thumb.j

I recently tested acrylic paints from Hobby Lobby against "leather" paints and found no difference. I made a test banjo strap which I have used 2-3 gigs a week for the past two months and there has been absolutely do degradation of the painted areas with either paint. I only used one coat and sealed with two coats of resolene.

Cya!

Bob

Are you using "artist's acrylic paints" or the "craft" grade? The "artist's acrylics" typically have more pigment and a somewhat better form of acrylic medium in them. I've used the 'craft' grade on a few things....which resulted in me ordering the Angelus paints to re-color the pieces inside of 3 months. There just wasn't much adhesion from the low grade stuff.

Both are metallic and have had no noticeable wear. They were from the Art section.

Cya!

Bob

Get an MSDS sheet for both types and it will reveal what is different. If it's a chemical they have to have one for it. I airbrush fishing lures and have found that the major difference has been the grind of the pigment. Some will plug the brush but they all seem to hold up on lures In the water until fish hopefully tear em up.

These lures take a beating and hold up very well. The finish is future floor acrylic, same stuff you put on the floor.

post-53835-0-44417300-1418613904_thumb.j

post-53835-0-61390000-1418613916_thumb.j