Sign in to follow this  
equiss

CRAZY Question - how to re-attach 3-ring binder spine

Hi All, this sounds crazy, but I am working on my first organizer - I have taken a three ring binder out of an existing notebook - but what do I use to attach it to my new leather notebook? I can't tell if they are rivets? And, I might also add, I wasn't able to get the first one out of the existing 3 ring binder very well - there has to be an easier way to get them out -

thanks for the help!

I drill out the old rivets with a drill press and a bit small enough to go down inside without drilling out the stem on the clip the rivet goes through.

I reattach them with Chicago screws or conchos for the great majority. On some Chicago screws I cover them with a thin layer of leather. I have done some photoalbums where they didn't want anything exposed. On those I used a star rivet through a backer that was sewn to the cover. I have 8/32 machine screws from 3/8 to 3/4" to get the right length for the weights of leather.

I drill out the old rivets with a drill press and a bit small enough to go down inside without drilling out the stem on the clip the rivet goes through.

I reattach them with Chicago screws or conchos for the great majority. On some Chicago screws I cover them with a thin layer of leather. I have done some photoalbums where they didn't want anything exposed. On those I used a star rivet through a backer that was sewn to the cover. I have 8/32 machine screws from 3/8 to 3/4" to get the right length for the weights of leather.

Thanks Bruce!! You are always fast to answer! I wish I had more time in the shop and less on the PC, !!!! That makes total sense - thanks for letting me know!

Cabela's sells notebooks with the inside metal parts bolted or threaded through the leather into a piece of decorated hardwood on the outside. Stan