Keltrey

Music to work to

I thought this would be a fun topic to discuss with everyone.

As a kid growing up my family spent 4 weeks a year down in Branson, MO. I used to love going to all the local artisan shops and spending time in Silver Dollar City. Being able to go in and watch all the craftspeople performing their trade and being able to ask questions was an excellent learning experience. Most of these shops had one thing in common aside from the friendly folk that worked there, they all had the similar music. Most were fiddles and guitar, however the one that stuck with me the most was the hammered dulcimer or mountain dulcimer.

10 years later and I find myself diving into this rich tradition of Leather Crafting. I've felt like something was missing. I have been kind of stressed trying to find information and equipment to prepare for a business. I just can't seem to calm down and think as clearly and then it hits me, dulcimer music.

So I do a search and here is what I found. Dizzi Dulcimer

Now I have something that is relaxing and puts me more in mood of the craft we all love.

So does anyone else have a favorite genre of music or band that they listen to while they work?

When I'm in my shop I almost always have some music on, but I don't have a particular favorite kind. I typically bounce back and forth between these three...

New Country

1970's Pop

Celtic

Yeah, I know... it's kind of wierd seeing those three listed together. What can I say? I like it.

I usually listen to C & W. I have all music on pc in the workshop and run it through amp and 6 speakers. I think there is enough for it to run for about 40 hours. Some of the main artists are Willie Nelson, Hank Snow, Slim Whitman,Ray Charles, Ray Price, Brian Letton, Curtiss Potter, Eddy Arnold, Johnny Horton, Mills Bros, Marty Robbins and even Roy Rogers and Gene Autry and many others that are not necessarily C & W. Gotta have music when I work! You can guess my vintage by the music I listen to.

Tony.

I listen to all kinds of music too. There's Delta Blues, Chicago Blues, Piedmont Blues. There's Acoustic Blues, Swing Blues, Jazz Blues. I also like all the other kinds too...lol

I do listen to all the other kinds of music too, both Country AND Western.

too

FYI: Uncle Dave's Tips - Download Songbird. It's an open source Music Player/Playlist, ala iTunes, but without all the restrictions. It sorts all my mmusic, and has plugins that are gresat, like a lyrics one, that downloads known lyrics from the internet, and plays in a column in songbird as you listen..no more mixed up words as you sing along...like "Louie Louie", etc...lol. It also allows you to log into Last.fm, now there's an internet radio station...

Tony

Give me back my playlists LoL

That's me to tee Tony, got to be relaxed in your shop how ever I must say I do listen to some celtic music every now and then.

Josh

Buddy Holly, Boston, Louis Armstrong, Bachman Turner Overdrive, REO Speedwagon, Wylie and the Wild West, Dave Stamey, Bob Seger, Richard Elloyan, RW Hampton, Kandace Kalona, Adrian, Ian Tyson (really liking the new one), Juni Fisher, Eli Barsi. I have a few poetry compilations and a couple poetry CDs from Randy Rieman. I listen to those a fair amount too.

If I'm set up away from my computer, it's whatever is on my ipod. Rob Zombie, Rasputina, Leaves' Eyes, Alice Cooper, you get the idea. If I set up in either the living room or dining room I turn up my computer with www.liveireland.com (the trad. music stream)

SOUTHERN ROCK FOR ME.YA"LL KNOW WHO THEY ARE.............

From Sweet Home Alabama to Kid Rock, it's all good Luke...

SOUTHERN ROCK FOR ME.YA"LL KNOW WHO THEY ARE.............

RDB.................. :red_bandana::thumbsup::guitar::16:

guess I'm a bit more odd. old punk, industrial, goth, nerdcore, old comedy songs, pre-60's country, older techno, 80's, darkwave, ebm, traditional Irish and other renfair type stuff. told ya odd. :P

How can I answer this? My CDs start at Albion Band and end with ZZ Top. In between are Martin Carthy, Amy Winehouse,Ian Tyson, I haven't heard the new one yet, I thought Gravel Road was as sad as he might get with old age and heartbreak. If people think rap is bad, they should listen to some nice old English ballads, there's nothing like some good pregnifyin' your sister and cutting her head off and throwing her in the river or walking by the river that flows so wide and free, pulling a stick all out of the 'edge and knock that pretty maid down or mamma killin' her sweet babes with a PENKNIFE down by the green wood sidie oh. Or being transported to old Virginie to plow the salt earth like an ox.

I just saw an ad with Hoyt Axton in it, Arlo, Ry Cooder, Leadbelly,Howlin' Wolf,Muddy Waters (The little girl she jumpin' up and down clappin' her hands, daddy there's another mule kickin' in your stall), Hoagy Carmichael, Richard Thompson, The Mothers, The Grandmothers, Django Reinhardt, Stephan Grappelli, Riders in the Sky, Eminem, Taj Mahal,Ian and Sylvia, I wish I could find some Don and Dewey, I've never heard them, but I love Don "Sugar Cane" Harris, Steeleye Span, F.Z., The GTO's, Richard Berry, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, Shelby Lynne, I guess I listen to and like anything that isn't too slick or over produced, except one thing, hammer dulcimer music, whenever I hear it my eyes start watering and my nose runs from the potpourri and cinnamon. LOL

Kevin

You all are going to think I'm some kind of weirdo! but, while running up and down the road going to horse shows and ropings, I discovered I could drive all day and night if I had a good audio book to listen to. When I got home I would finish listening to whatever story I had going and that became a habit. Now I listen to them all the time while I work. I just love good mysteries and westerns! I sometimes find myself tooling and listening until three o'clock in the morning! I can check out ten books at a time from the public library and so that is what I listen to while I work. When I don't have a good story going I listen to talk radio. I find Rush, Laura Ingram, Michael Medved, Dennis Prather and a few others interesting to listen to.

Bob

i work from the kitchen table...i listen to the spawn yelling at each other, the cat meowing for food, the dog whining for a walk, the tv's in the background......but after awhile i tune out and go into my own little leather world!!!

After Thanksgiving I take about 50 Christmas CDs to work and really drive 'em crazy.

Christmas at K Mart, the mood ring counter was all aglow,Christmas in hell is at the 7/11

Kevin

i work from the kitchen table...i listen to the spawn yelling at each other, the cat meowing for food, the dog whining for a walk, the tv's in the background......but after awhile i tune out and go into my own little leather world!!!

I thought you were going to end that with, "...and it's all music to my ears!" :rofl:

Kate

It's Pandora for me! Every day I'm in the mood for something different, and I can tell Pandora what I want, and it serves up whatever I ask for.

Kate

well not 100% southern rock

BRUCE JOHNSON...............I FOUND DAVE STAMEY A FEW WEEKS AGO. AND I CAN ASSOCIATE

WITH "BUCKAROO MAN".

LONG LIVE DAVE STAMEY

Jimmy Buffet is my second preference to John Williamson. He is an Australian singer well worth a listen too. Darryl

Luke,

I will pass along your sentiments to Dave. We are driving down to Visalia Saturday night to see him. There is a little coffee joint they clear out and set up chairs. Seats about 40 and they get some pretty good entertainers in there between bigger shows. Very tight setting and worth the 3 hour road trip.

Kevin,

I go back to the Ian and Sylvia days, and the first song I think I heard was Un Canadien Errant. I don't understand a lick of French and probably spelled it wrong, but that one got me. The new Ian Tyson is different. He had a throat deal and ended up with a permanent gravely kind of voice now. It took a guy who always sang smooth as silk and gave him an earthy kind of edge. The writing is good and I am not sure if I like the new one more for the reality of his voice or the music.

I´m listening to Willie Nelson and David Allen Cole mostly.

You must listen to the lyrics in David Allen Coles " The perfect country song" ! :guitar:

/ Knut

(It's David Allan "Coe" ~~Johanna)

You all are going to think I'm some kind of weirdo! but, while running up and down the road going to horse shows and ropings, I discovered I could drive all day and night if I had a good audio book to listen to. When I got home I would finish listening to whatever story I had going and that became a habit. Now I listen to them all the time while I work. I just love good mysteries and westerns! I sometimes find myself tooling and listening until three o'clock in the morning! I can check out ten books at a time from the public library and so that is what I listen to while I work. When I don't have a good story going I listen to talk radio. I find Rush, Laura Ingram, Michael Medved, Dennis Prather and a few others interesting to listen to.

Bob

Don't forget Sean Hannity, Mark Levin, Michael Savage, Wilkow Major, Neil Boortz and G. Gordon Liddy! XM radio and America Right rocks!

Edited by Hilly

I'm a fan of all kinds of music. some days I listen to country, other days I listen to HARD ROCK! I have a PC in my shop that I keep tuned to Slacker Radio ! You can search for any artist and it's virtually like satellite radio but better. It's FREE! You can make your own totally customized radio stations based on your tastes.

Ok, I'm starting to sound like a sales rep for them. I'm not. I'm just a loyal fan! Go there and check it out.

Unfortunately, it's on available in the USA right now, but there are plans to expand it...

Check it out! Go HERE!

I'm a fan of all kinds of music. some days I listen to country, other days I listen to HARD ROCK! I have a PC in my shop that I keep tuned to Slacker Radio ! You can search for any artist and it's virtually like satellite radio but better. It's FREE! You can make your own totally customized radio stations based on your tastes.

Ok, I'm starting to sound like a sales rep for them. I'm not. I'm just a loyal fan! Go there and check it out.

Unfortunately, it's on available in the USA right now, but there are plans to expand it...

Check it out! Go HERE!

Thanks, Troy! Just checked out Slacker...now I think it just turned me into one! Good stuff--thanks for passing it along!