Ferg

Posts Disappearing

I can only think of one "pieve" I have about the forum site.

During the day I may have a few minutes to see if anything is in the forum that I would like to read but not have time until later.

If I scan the subjects and return same day the posts I was interested in are gone.

I know, I can look in the Archives :) Can this be changed from instantaneous, or nearly so to perhaps 24 hours?

Just a thought.

ferg

Instead of clicking "view new content" (top right of page), scroll down to the bottom of the forum and click "today's active topics". Posts from the last 24 hours are there. You can also "subscribe" to any topic you are interested in by clicking the "Watch this topic" button. The forum will ask you how you want to be notified, and when, and you click your choices.

Hope this helps!

Johanna

Instead of clicking "view new content" (top right of page), scroll down to the bottom of the forum and click "today's active topics". Posts from the last 24 hours are there. You can also "subscribe" to any topic you are interested in by clicking the "Watch this topic" button. The forum will ask you how you want to be notified, and when, and you click your choices.

Hope this helps!

Johanna

Really??? I finally find this out now about the active topics?? :specool: I guess I can now forget about my little hand written notes about posts I want to go back to. I've been here how long again?

Oh good grief- you're GREEN and you didn't know this??? aaarrgghhh

What are hand written notes again?

~J

Johanna, if you want hand written notes, follow these steps:

Start>Run> type "notepad">enter. :innocent:

Oh, and just in case anyone is interested, there is a drop down menu at the bottom of "today's active content" that will also display the last week, for those of you who don't get here every day.

Mike- I have a "Notepad" shortcut on my Quick Launch Bar. I also have 45 post it notes all over my desk.

:head_hurts_kr:

I can't even find "today's active content"!

Me neither.

It's in the brown bar that goes across the screen. It's the one at the top of the section that has Active Users, and Who's Been Online Today.

It's in the brown bar that goes across the screen. It's the one at the top of the section that has Active Users, and Who's Been Online Today.

I don't see any of that on my screen. All i see is fast reply and simlar topics in brown bars. Maybe because i use Fire Fox it's not there.

I don't see any of that on my screen. All i see is fast reply and simlar topics in brown bars. Maybe because i use Fire Fox it's not there.

Yeah, I'm the same! Perhaps it is Firefox

You have to look on the main forum page that lists all the forums, not the individual topics themselves. http://leatherworker.net/forum/

Under the last forum is a toolbar over top of the "Who is online" "New Members Today" section. There are three choices on that toolbar, and one is "get active topics", on the left. It works in Firefox, IE and every other browser that I know of.

~J

I was trying to figure it out. If you click the 'forum' tab it only appears on the main forums page. I'm using Firefox as well.

Found it. Thanks for explaining where it is.

:coffeecomp: That's my job. Trying to simplify life on the computer for the average leatherworker. I love you all, even when you overcomplicate things. Please hit me with any questions or suggestions how to make this place work better for you. I'll do the best I can to help.

Johanna

:coffeecomp: That's my job. Trying to simplify life on the computer for the average leatherworker. I love you all, even when you overcomplicate things. Please hit me with any questions or suggestions how to make this place work better for you. I'll do the best I can to help.

Johanna

How about as an idea of simplification:

I think many, many people look at nothing on the forum but the new content link. The forum is so overloaded with categories it would take forever to navigate daily any other way. Once we look at the post it is lost forever. Even if you remember it, it is very difficult to sort through all the pages and locate it.

The active content link is a better step to being able to relocate a post. But, it is not convenient to click on (I am sure most regulars do not know about it and even fewer newbies do). Coupled with the fact that now you have to keep reloading the main page of a slow running forum, it is in a horribly inconvenient place, not good.

So: I doubt many people want the posts to disappear like they do in the new content link. Likely most everyone would feel the active content link is what we need. How about just swapping the two? Those wanting to loose track of the posts they are following can then locate and use the new content link and those wanting to keep track of the links will click on the active content link that is now in a convenient location.

Aaron

I keep the active content link in my favorites and click on it directly that way. Works for me!

I'm okay with it just the way it is.

When I check this in the mornings, there's typically between 30 and 60 new posts. When I log back in after work, I hit the new content button and see what's changed....i.e. new posts in the threads I am following. If I click on the the daily active content, I have to scan though the entire list to see if one or two threads have any replies. With the new content, I can pop in on this site, see if any new replies have been made and respond or if there's nothing new in one of the threads I'm following, it isn't on the list and I go back to what I was doing.

Aaron, why do you say this site is slow? Our logs don't show anything unusual, and I haven't had any complaints about speed since we upgraded to the dedicated server. Tell me more.

~J

Aaron, why do you say this site is slow? Our logs don't show anything unusual, and I haven't had any complaints about speed since we upgraded to the dedicated server. Tell me more.

~J

Every since the site was upgraded it has always been slow. It was horibly slow for a long time and that has been repaired. Now it runs at what is an acceptable leval, but definatly loads slower than most sites. I think this has to do with the leval of stuff that loads with every page. I was not really trying to complain, I know it is what it is. Was just using it as a reason that having to continuasly reload the page can be anoying what it would be simpler/faster to be able to do it in one click instead of click/wait/scrole/click.

Aaron

Aaron,

I am curious, why are you reloading the page?

I am on a Mac, I can click on the "back" arrow and return to where I left off. Very little time involved.

ferg

Every since the site was upgraded it has always been slow. It was horibly slow for a long time and that has been repaired. Now it runs at what is an acceptable leval, but definatly loads slower than most sites. I think this has to do with the leval of stuff that loads with every page. I was not really trying to complain, I know it is what it is. Was just using it as a reason that having to continuasly reload the page can be anoying what it would be simpler/faster to be able to do it in one click instead of click/wait/scrole/click.

Aaron

Like Denise said, I simply have the Active Posts bookmarked.

Easy way to do it: find the Active Posts link at the bottom of the home page, right click (instead of left click) and select "Bookmark this Link". Change the bookmark name if you wish and then click "OK". All done.

On Firefox I have the Active Posts and New Content as separate bookmarks on the overhead toolbar so I'm simply 1-click away from either one depending on my mood.

Cheers,

Chris

Aaron, if you're using FireFox, you can tweak it to operate faster. In the address bar, type "about:config", then scroll down to networking.http.pipelining and set that to 'true', then right below it is networking.http.pipeling.maxrequests and you set that higher - I have mine set on 12. That should speed up your experience.

You can go back and change it if you don't like it.

I can only think of one "pieve" I have about the forum site.

During the day I may have a few minutes to see if anything is in the forum that I would like to read but not have time until later.

If I scan the subjects and return same day the posts I was interested in are gone.

I know, I can look in the Archives :) Can this be changed from instantaneous, or nearly so to perhaps 24 hours?

Just a thought.

ferg

So who says you can't teach us old folks new tricks? Wahoo!!!

Bob