Clay

September Challenge

Hi every one,

I have to say that I am sorry to you all, I had this challenge planned out and then I could not get my scanner to work then the pc went down so I am using VERY BAD pictures for this month's challenge. If any one can make a better pattern out of the mess I have that would be so great!!! So on with the challenge.

It is a figure carving challenge. The pattern is of a coyote howling at the moon. It is aprox two and one half inches by three inches. Tool and color the coyote in your favorite way. As an added challenge to go along with this pattern try to describe how you tooled or colored the pattern when you post your pictures.

Thank you for your patience and support of the challenges.

Clay M.

jse_howling_coyote1.jpg

jse_howling_coyote1.jpg

jse_howling_coyote_pattern.jpg

post-255-1220589559_thumb.jpg

post-255-1220589587_thumb.jpg

Some conturs can be drawn from red one and I resized the original so theese two match.

Tom

jse_howling_coyote1_kopiera.jpg

jse_howling_coyote1_resized.jpg

post-5146-1220597638_thumb.jpg

post-5146-1220597655_thumb.jpg

I will let you guys have at the coyote carving. As I found out on the coyote call I made last month, my animal carving really is TERRIBLE. Course the size of the one I was doing was only about 1 1/4" tall & maybe 1 1/2" wide so a little bigger would maybe help.

I will stick with the flower carvings from now on.

Here's my coyote! Is this cheating? He's not howling. He was chasing pocket gophers in the yak pasture.

Kathy

Leather_pictures_233.jpg

post-1462-1221258276_thumb.jpg

Edited by yaklady

OK, here's my effort....no giggles please.....i only own 12 stamping/carving tools and that includes one swivel and two modeling tools!!

the only tools used on this were the swivel and peter mains modeling tool. Black dye for the sky, white pearl acrylic for the moon and antique brown for the wolf.

edit...

Just read the original post again...coyote!!! damm!!! Oh well..i dont know the difference..we dont have either down here.!!!...

wolve_1.gif

post-4514-1221292941_thumb.jpg

Edited by leatheroo

Hi Caroline,

No giggles here. I think you did great! I like the BIG moon and I like how you colored the sky with the stars in the background. The simple way you carved the wolf/coyote with almost no tools is very effective. Thanks for trying the carving and sharing your picture. I hope more people will give it a try. If I ever get done being lazy today, maybe I can get started on it too.

Caroline,

Great job. I like how you did the hair on yours.

Ernie,

It is very hard to get done being lazy, how do you know when you are done with it? I have been trying for years to quit but have

not been able to. I may need to go to a support group LOL

Bert

Caroline- I also like the proportion of the wolf to the moon and the stars in the background. Nice job! :thumbsup:

Clay- Sorry - the dog ate my homework... no... that's not true. The dog WOULD eat my homework... no... that's not true either. I have an aversion to tooling fur. That's the real story. I'd have ended up with a coyote with a bad case of the mange. :head_hurts_kr:

Crystal

Crystal,

The "dog at my homework" excuse is old and used up. You need something more original. How about, "my brother pee'd on my homework". My daughter actually had to use that once, and it wasn't even made up. Our oldest son was sleepwalking, came into the living room and decided that the coffee table was the toilet. Just so happened that that's where my daughters homework was. My wife was in the kitchen and couldn't figure out why it sounded like water running in the living room. So that's no the excuse around here.

I'm gonna clean up my messsy workshop today and hopefully will have some room and some time to at least start on this months challenge tomorrow. You should come over and we could see if we could do something about that aversion to carving fur.

My YAK ate my homework!!!

Crystal,

The "dog at my homework" excuse is old and used up. You need something more original. How about, "my brother pee'd on my homework". My daughter actually had to use that once, and it wasn't even made up. Our oldest son was sleepwalking, came into the living room and decided that the coffee table was the toilet. Just so happened that that's where my daughters homework was. My wife was in the kitchen and couldn't figure out why it sounded like water running in the living room. So that's no the excuse around here.

I'm gonna clean up my messsy workshop today and hopefully will have some room and some time to at least start on this months challenge tomorrow. You should come over and we could see if we could do something about that aversion to carving fur.

Mmmm - shoulda said the dog pee'd on my homework. :-) My husband's one cousin sleep walked when they were kids. On night the grown-ups were watching a movie after the kids went to bed and he come down and pee'd in the popcorn bowl. Must be a thing with coffee tables.

I'd pop right over for a lesson, messy room or not, but my mom always said to stay away from places called "Bad Lands". Or was it "bad part of town". Can't remember. It's terrible getting old.

Crystal

Hi every one,

I have to say that I am sorry to you all, I had this challenge planned out and then I could not get my scanner to work then the pc went down so I am using VERY BAD pictures for this month's challenge. If any one can make a better pattern out of the mess I have that would be so great!!! So on with the challenge.

It is a figure carving challenge. The pattern is of a coyote howling at the moon. It is aprox two and one half inches by three inches. Tool and color the coyote in your favorite way. As an added challenge to go along with this pattern try to describe how you tooled or colored the pattern when you post your pictures.

Thank you for your patience and support of the challenges.

Clay M.

jse_howling_coyote1.jpg

jse_howling_coyote1.jpg

The dog ate my homework. See? Here he is balancing a ball on his nose... Right after that, he ate the ball AND my homework.

Brent

Ok, I finally got over being lazy, got my shop cleaned up, and got my piece carved for the September challenge.

Ignore the red spots on the leather, that was an OOPS caused by the messy shop. (or maybe it's blood spatter cuz someone wasn't enjoying the howling while they were trying to sleep) Hopefully if I ever decide to color this, I can hide the red spots with the paint somehow.

sept_challenge__cropped___Large_.jpg

post-12-1221965287_thumb.jpg

sweet work clay. now i see how it should be done...i might try again!

Thanks Caroline,

But remember, just because you did it differently doesn't mean yours is wrong. It's just different and nicely done. I think that's the point of this, to see other ways to do things. That said, if you do try it again, it'll be interesting to see what you do differently the next time.

3 year old thread.

Please remember to check the dates in a topic.